[comp.windows.x] X/Sunview, Open Windows 2.0 and Word Perfect

hook@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Chris Hook) (10/25/90)

Well, my request is pretty much all there in the Subject heading. That is,
I need to supply a user (alomst right away) with Word Perfect to be
run on a Sun Sparc Workstation, using any or all of the following windowing
systems:
 X11R4, Sunview, Open Windows 2.0.

If I can even get the companies to contact that would be a great help. Also,
if anyone has used this product under these conditions, I would appreciate
hearing from them about their experiences.

Thanks alot,
Chris Hook
hook@geog.ubc.ca

don@zardoz.coral.COM (Don Dewar) (10/25/90)

) Date: 24 Oct 90 21:52:59 GMT
) From: uunet!beaver.cs.washington.edu!ubc-cs!cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca!hook  (Chris Hook)
) Subject: X/Sunview, Open Windows 2.0 and Word Perfect
) Sender: uunet!expo.lcs.mit.edu!xpert-request
) To: xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu
)
)
) Well, my request is pretty much all there in the Subject heading. That is,
) I need to supply a user (alomst right away) with Word Perfect to be
) run on a Sun Sparc Workstation, using any or all of the following windowing
) systems:
)  X11R4, Sunview, Open Windows 2.0.
)
) If I can even get the companies to contact that would be a great help. Also,
) if anyone has used this product under these conditions, I would appreciate
) hearing from them about their experiences.
)
) Thanks alot,
) Chris Hook
) hook@geog.ubc.ca
)
)

WordPerfect will not in any way shape or form work well under X.  I
have tried everything, including talking to the WordPerfect people and
they have no idea.  The problem is that they implemented their own
terminal capabilities scheme within their product.  If you tell
WordPerfect you are running on a vt100 (in an xterm window), you have
access to only 4 function keys, since the classic vt100 terminal only
had 4 function keys.  If you tell WordPerfect you are a Sun, (in an
xterm window) it puts garbage on the screen.  The WP folks said they
did not user termcap or terminfo because it did have all the features
they needed -- bull cookies.

There is no explicit support for X in WordPerfect like their is
support for Sun's "native" Sunview.

I asked the net about this issue some time ago, and noone had any
ideas.  But if someone else knows of a way to get this to work let,
please me know.

What I really think might work is if I had an xterm that did vt220
emulation.  Does anyone know of such a beast?

That is my experience with WordPerfect so far.

  +---------+
  | Coral   |
  |@@@@@*@**|
  |@@*@@**@@|     Don Dewar
  |*@@**@@@@|     Coral Network Corporation, Marlborough, MA
  |@***@@@@@|     Internet: don@coral.com
  |@@**@@@@@|     Phone:    (508) 460-6010
  |*********|     Fax:      (508) 481-6258
  |Networks |
  +---------+

csb@gdwb.oz.au (Craig Bishop) (10/26/90)

hook@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Chris Hook) writes:

>Well, my request is pretty much all there in the Subject heading. That is,
>I need to supply a user (alomst right away) with Word Perfect to be
>run on a Sun Sparc Workstation, using any or all of the following windowing
>systems:
> X11R4, Sunview, Open Windows 2.0.

>If I can even get the companies to contact that would be a great help. Also,
>if anyone has used this product under these conditions, I would appreciate
>hearing from them about their experiences.

Word Perfect 5.0 is due for release on the SPARCstation in the
next couple of weeks. It is an OpenLook application which could run
under either OpenWindows or X11R4. I have seen a beta version
running recently at the Australian Unix Users Conference. Being
version 5.0 I beleive it is not WYSIWYG and does not have mouse
control for editing functions. However it does have all the 5.1
pull down menus.

The above is not gospel just what I beleive to be the case at
this point in time.
--
Craig Bishop			Geelong & District Water Board
Phone: +61 52 262506		61-67 Ryrie St Geelong

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/26/90)

In article <9010251100.AA21764@zardoz.noname>, don@zardoz.coral.COM (Don Dewar) writes:

|> WordPerfect will not in any way shape or form work well under X.  I
|> have tried everything, including talking to the WordPerfect people and
|> they have no idea.  The problem is that they implemented their own
|> terminal capabilities scheme within their product.  If you tell
|> WordPerfect you are running on a vt100 (in an xterm window), you have
|> access to only 4 function keys, since the classic vt100 terminal only
|> had 4 function keys.  If you tell WordPerfect you are a Sun, (in an
|> xterm window) it puts garbage on the screen.  The WP folks said they
|> did not user termcap or terminfo because it did have all the features
|> they needed -- bull cookies.

I run WordPerfect in an xterm window and it works perfectly well. What one
has to do is to create a WPTERM description for xterm. I started with our
vt320 description to get the character set definitions mostly correct from
the start (ISO 8859/1). With some tweaking in the .Xresources file, I've been
able to get more or less the same keyboard functionality as on a PC. Unfortunately,
I can not give these definitions away, as we sell WordPerfect for UNIX and xterm
support is part of our value-added tape that we ship with all WordPerfect licenses.

|> What I really think might work is if I had an xterm that did vt220
|> emulation.  Does anyone know of such a beast?

Centuty Software has started to sell their TERM terminal emulation product for
X11. It emulates VT220 and a number of other terminals.

"mterm" is a freely available product from der Mouse that comes pretty close.
It is written as per a VT300 manual.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

root@fstc-chville.army.mil (Operator) (10/26/90)

hook@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Chris Hook) writes:
>Well, my request is pretty much all there in the Subject heading. That is,
>I need to supply a user (alomst right away) with Word Perfect to be
>run on a Sun Sparc Workstation, using any or all of the following windowing
>systems:
> X11R4, Sunview, Open Windows 2.0.

Wordperfect has had the 4.2 version (sunview) out for the Sun some time....
We've been using it for at least a year....

Wordperfect is accepting orders for version 5.0 for the Sun...  I don't know
if it's Sunview or Openlook...    Delivery is not until next year....

Some of our guys are running WP 5.0 in DosWindows 1.0...    It's a kludge,
but it can be done....

Brian
boyter@fstc-chville.army.mil

In article <539@rome.gdwb.oz.au>, csb@gdwb.oz.au (Craig Bishop) writes:

|> Word Perfect 5.0 is due for release on the SPARCstation in the
|> next couple of weeks. It is an OpenLook application which could run
|> under either OpenWindows or X11R4. I have seen a beta version
|> running recently at the Australian Unix Users Conference. Being
|> version 5.0 I beleive it is not WYSIWYG and does not have mouse
|> control for editing functions. However it does have all the 5.1
|> pull down menus.

Not WYSIWYG? Well, perhaps the beta copy with WYSIWYG display we've been
running here for some time isn't the 5.0 version, but an even later, then?