[comp.windows.x] XView window footer with tvtwm

gjw@anucsd.anu.oz.au (Graham Williams) (10/17/90)

Hardware: Sun SLC
Software: X11R4 and OpenWindows, OLWM and TVTWM
Operating System: SunOS 4.1

The OLWM seems to place as part of its window decoration an area at the
bottom of each window into which an application can write text.  This is
used, for example, by the XView mailtool and file manager.  However, such
messages are simply lost when running TVTWM, for example, since there is
no window decoration at the bottom of the windows.  Have I missed something
in tvtwm that allows me to see these messages, or is this one of those
features of XView which requires the use of OLWM/

--
Graham Williams, gjw@anucsd.anu.oz.au
Dept Computer Science, Australian National University,

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct16.233521.25641@anucsd.anu.oz.au> gjw@anucsd.anu.oz.au (Graham Williams) writes:

   no window decoration at the bottom of the windows.  Have I missed something
   in tvtwm that allows me to see these messages, or is this one of those
   features of XView which requires the use of OLWM/

Probably doesn't *need* olwm, but probably does need some window
manager that pays attention to the properties "_OL_WINMSG_ERROR" and
"_OL_WINMSG_STATE" on the application's window.  Try grepping for
"_OL_" in olwm.c for more interesting OpenWindows properties.

Bill

--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

jmck@norge.Eng.Sun.COM (John McKernan) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct16.233521.25641@anucsd.anu.oz.au> gjw@anucsd.anu.oz.au writes:
>The OLWM seems to place as part of its window decoration an area at the
>bottom of each window into which an application can write text.  This is
>used, for example, by the XView mailtool and file manager.  However, such
>messages are simply lost when running TVTWM, for example, since there is
>no window decoration at the bottom of the windows.  Have I missed something
>in tvtwm that allows me to see these messages, or is this one of those
>features of XView which requires the use of OLWM/

Open Look frame footers will be handled by the XView frame package
instead of olwm in the next release of the xview toolkit. That means
that footers should work regardless of the window manager you are
using, after the next release of the xview toolkit.

John McKernan.
Windows and Graphics Software, Sun Microsystems.                  jmck@sun.com

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (10/28/90)

In article <143959@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> jmck@norge.Eng.Sun.COM (John McKernan) writes:
>Open Look frame footers will be handled by the XView frame package
>instead of olwm in the next release of the xview toolkit. That means
>that footers should work regardless of the window manager you are
>using, after the next release of the xview toolkit.

Thanks. That means the footers will actually be usable.

Any release date for "the next release" (XView 3.0 or whatever)?

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | NeXT: A disaster looking for a place
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | to happen  -- Bill Joy