[comp.windows.x] Is you xrn6.13 crashing too?

gcmcnutt@mlsgcm.Ebay.sun.COM (Greg McNutt) (10/24/90)

We have been fighting a problem with the latest versions of
xrn and libXt.  It appears that our upgrade from xrn6.10 to
xrn6.13 (or even xrn6.11) now core dumps at an interesting
place.

We are using MIT's libXt for this test (patched to fix-18).
By the way, xrn does not crash with openwindows 2.0's libXt.
This might be because that version of Xt has not been
'patched'...

The crash appears on the *third* entry into the article read
mode.  We have traced back the failure to the *third* entry
back into the newgroup mode i.e.:

run xrn (ng mode) -> read -> ng -> read -> ng

At this point the translations table for the read mode is
XtFree'd during the translations install for the ng mode.

I know, I know, too much detail but after perusing the various
fix-es, we have discovered a rather large amount of 'changes'
to the translation code in *both* xrn and Xt....

We are right now at a loss as to where the problem is and
where the symptoms are.  We suspect that this is a case of
unsynchronized enhancements conflicting with each other.

Any ideas?

greg

BTW: We are using the resources file provided with xrn6.13 for
the 6.13 test....

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/25/90)

In article <477@grapevine.EBay.Sun.COM>, gcmcnutt@mlsgcm.Ebay.sun.COM (Greg McNutt) writes:

|> It appears that our upgrade from xrn6.10 to
|> xrn6.13 (or even xrn6.11) now core dumps at an interesting
|> place.

Haven't seen this behavior. I'm using xrn 6.13 on an Encore Multimax
running UMAX V and X11R4.
--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

aw@bae.bae.bellcore.com (Andrew Wason) (10/29/90)

In article <477@grapevine.EBay.Sun.COM>, gcmcnutt@mlsgcm.Ebay.sun.COM (Greg McNutt) writes:
> We have been fighting a problem with the latest versions of
> xrn and libXt.  It appears that our upgrade from xrn6.10 to
> xrn6.13 (or even xrn6.11) now core dumps at an interesting
> place.
>
> We are using MIT's libXt for this test (patched to fix-18).

I have a similar problem with xrn 6.13 on a Pyramid.
I don't think our MIT libXt has had any of the fixes applied.

> The crash appears on the *third* entry into the article read
> mode.  We have traced back the failure to the *third* entry
> back into the newgroup mode i.e.:
>
> run xrn (ng mode) -> read -> ng -> read -> ng

With me, it's not so consistent. It sometimes happens when entering read mode.
A dialog box pops up saying signal 11 was caught. Sometimes it takes
quite a while before it happens, if at all.

I have also built xrn 6.13 on a Sun4 and it has no problems.

Andrew

Andrew Wason                                        Bell Communications Research
aw@cellar.bae.bellcore.com                          Piscataway, NJ
bellcore!cellar!aw