[comp.windows.x] Windowing/OS combo

kroger@scarecrow.cognet.ucla.edu (James Kroger) (10/28/90)

It's now possible to get a windows environment on a 386 machine
at least two ways: DOS with WINDOWS and UNIX with X-WINDOWS.

Would any kind souls out there care to inform a novice who is about
to buy a 386 which might be the better choice (price aside)?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Kroger

eagle@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) (10/29/90)

In article <662@mara.cognet.ucla.edu> kroger@scarecrow.cognet.ucla.edu (James Kroger) writes:
>It's now possible to get a windows environment on a 386 machine
>at least two ways: DOS with WINDOWS and UNIX with X-WINDOWS.
>
>Would any kind souls out there care to inform a novice who is about
>to buy a 386 which might be the better choice (price aside)?

You left off OS/2 v2.0.  I realize it's not out yet, but it will kick
the pants off Windows 3.0.

I wouldn't get DOS/Windows combination for one main reason.  Sure,
you're "multitasking," but load Windows (even on a fast 386) down with a
few DOS programs and it BOGS.  Remember that you're still on a
Single-Task system.  It's like trying to stand a pyramid upside down.
OS/2 is much more stable than DOS.  I would not consider DOS/Windows but
would consider the differences between OS/2 v2 and Unix/X-Windows
combinations.

One more thing to consider: DOS+Windows3 price=$120+$100=$220
                            OS/2 EE, Educ.Disc=$373      $373
OS/2 v1.2 is only $150 more than DOS4+windows3

Just my $.02...........Daniel C
--
Daniel C. L'Hommedieu III             Internet: eagle@catt.ncsu.edu
Prodigy ID: BCCJ33D                             dclhomm@eos.ncsu.edu

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct28.160842.15051@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> eagle@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) writes:

>One more thing to consider: DOS+Windows3 price=$120+$100=$220
>                            OS/2 EE, Educ.Disc=$373      $373
>OS/2 v1.2 is only $150 more than DOS4+windows3

Don't forget the prices of the SDK and compiler, thus:
    DOS             $100.00
    Win3             100.00
    MSC 5.1 or 6.0   500.00
    Win3 SDK         400.00
                   --------
                   $1100.00
                   ========

    OS/2 EE         $373.00
    MSC 5.1 or 6.0   400.00
    OS/2 PM SDK     1000.00 ???
                   --------
                   $1773.00
                   ========

    ESIX (just to name one of many SysV packages with X Windows)
    Price includes X Window, Compiler, X Window libraries.

                    $900.00
                   --------
                    $900.00
                   ========

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

causing trouble again.