[comp.windows.x] xlock

jens@ra.abo.fi (Jens Granlund DC) (02/21/90)

I am running X11R4 on sun3s & sun4s running SunOS 4.0.3.

When i try to run xlock i get the following error message.

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  26 (X_GrabPointer)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
  Resource id in failed request:  0xffff
  Serial number of failed request:  29

Does anyone know what this means and/or what to do to fix it.

    Jens Granlund
    Swedish University of Turku, Computing Centre

    E-Mail : jgranlund@ra.abo.fi

brtmac@wyatt.ksux.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (02/22/90)

In article <JENS.90Feb21093455@ra.abo.fi> jens@ra.abo.fi (Jens Granlund DC) writes:
>I am running X11R4 on sun3s & sun4s running SunOS 4.0.3.
>
>When i try to run xlock i get the following error message.
>

>X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  26 (X_GrabPointer)
>  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
>  Resource id in failed request:  0xffff
>  Serial number of failed request:  29
>  Current serial number in output stream:  29
>

>Does anyone know what this means and/or what to do to fix it.

X11R4 does not allow a -1 in the even mask which is what most people used
with X11R3 to mean all events.  I'm not sure what the accepted fix for these
kinds of problems are, but all you need to do is change two lines in xlock.c
on the XGrabPointer calls changing the -1 to a 0.  Following is what I changed
it to:

status = XGrabPointer(dsp, w, True, 0,
                          GrabModeAsync, GrabModeAsync, None, mycursor,
                          CurrentTime);

The 0 that is marked is a -1 in the original code.  There are two occurances
of this call, so you can just do a search for XGrabPointer and change the
lines.
--
Brett McCoy                 |  The amount you can learn in a given period of
brtmac@ksuvm.bitnet         |  time is inversely proportional to the time left

coorg@bgsuvax.UUCP (giridhar Coorg) (03/14/90)

Machine: Sun 4/260
X-windows version: R4
OS version: SunOs 4.0.3
xlock version: R3
xset bc done.
Problem:  Every time xlock is invoked through the mouse button, I get the
message on the console window:
client illegibly changed colormap (i = 0, j = -1

The patterns do not come out in color although I do manage to see some small
dots(of pattern) in color and the screen remains predominantly black.

Other than this the xlock seems to be working properly.

I saw someone post a similar problem but I did not see a solution to this.

Any pointers?

==Giridhar Coorg==

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (10/30/90)

As with any new release of software the nit list is growing.

In resource.c: ctype.h needs to be included on some machine/os
combinations (not mine!) otherwise isupper() is undefined.

In xlock.c: I left off the volume parameter in a call to XBell().

In hopalong.c: There is a bad cast to int.

The ctype.h problem is the only one which should cause problems...
The version on expo has been updated (contrib/xlock.shar.2.0.Z)

-Patrick
    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Windows and Graphics Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080