[comp.windows.x] xlock 2.0 and an NCD-19

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (10/30/90)

I read the blurb that xlock 2.0 was supposed to support X-terminals.  I
wondered how it could do this and it appears to me that it can't.  Either
that or I am missing something.  I got it moments after it showed up on
expo last night.  I invoked it like this:

	% xlock -display hobbes:0 -remote -mode swarm

It locked the terminal just fine.  After I unlocked it I got this message
on the machine I ran xlock on:

X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  111 (X_SetAccessControl)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
  Resource id in failed request:  0x40000004
  Serial number of failed request:  1004

Then when I tried to open a new window I got this:

Xlib:  connection to "hobbes:0.0" refused by server
Xlib:  Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't Open display

I can't find the solution in the manual page.  Any ideas?

--Bill Davidson

In article <12113@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
>I read the blurb that xlock 2.0 was supposed to support X-terminals.  I
>wondered how it could do this and it appears to me that it can't.  Either
>that or I am missing something.  I got it moments after it showed up on
>expo last night.  I invoked it like this:
>
>	% xlock -display hobbes:0 -remote -mode swarm

[explanation of how it didn't unlock properly deleted]

>I can't find the solution in the manual page.  Any ideas?

I was missing something.

Daren W. Latham (dwl@udev.cdc.com) got a solution to me 50 minutes
after I posted (the net can be really quick!).  Anyway, for anyone else
who has the same problem, I should have been using -allowaccess as in:

	% xlock -display hobbes:0 -remote -mode swarm -allowaccess

This works.  However, if you use it keep in mind that it takes a long
time (a couple of minutes) for it to unlock everything (at least with
the NCD-19).  In my own defense, I don't think that the need to add
-allowaccess was clear in the man page:

     -/+remote
          The remote option tells xlock to not stop you from
          locking remote X11 servers.  This option should be used
          with care and is intended mainly to lock X11 terminals
          which cannot run xlock locally.  If you lock someone
          else's workstation, they will have to know your pass-
          word to unlock it.

     -/+allowaccess
          This option is simply a hack for the paranoid, who
          don't want to disable the access control list, but
          still want the local server to prompt for a password.
          This way if xlock is killed -KILL, the access control
          list is not lost.

Anyway, thanks Daren.

--Billl Davidson