[net.news] Random Junk

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (07/02/85)

Why do people generate subject lines like the above when writing
followups?  Today in net.cooks I saw one that said
	Re: hot pepper oil (really caramel sauce)

The one subject has absolutely nothing to do with the other, and hot
pepper oil was mentioned nowhere in the article.  Does the news software
make it so hard to change the subject line on a followup?  (Granted,
this one shouldn't have been a followup anyway.)  Or is it that posting
a new message via the 'f' key is just easier than using postnews?  Is
there something that can be done about this (of course not, it's an
anarchy -- you can't force *anyone* to do *anything*!)?  If there is a
fault in the news software, maybe this could be fixed.  (I don't know, I
use rn now, which allows me complete control over my header lines.)

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"You don't get to choose how you're going to die.  Or when.

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (07/04/85)

> Why do people generate subject lines like the above when writing
> followups?  Today in net.cooks I saw one that said
> 	Re: hot pepper oil (really caramel sauce)
> =Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

I can only say why I sometimes do it.  Many times a followup article
refers to the original article but not the original subject.  This
leaves me with two options.
	1. Use a new subject that describes the current discussion.
	2. Use the old subject.

The problem with (1) is that readers who were following the old
discussion may not realize that this is a followup to it.  The
problem with (2) is that readers can not tell from the old subject
whether the article contains something they might be interested in.  So I
compromise and combine the old and new.

It is not a problem of not being able to control the subject line.  If
it was then I would not have been able to add the (Really ...".

Maybe we need a new header ala:
 	Subject: caramel sauce
 	Originally: hot pepper oil

Actually the use of "Subject" is a hangover from the days when this all
worked via mail.  A "Title" would be more appropriate.

				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

liberte@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (07/06/85)

One thing to be aware of in creating such long subjects is that `notes`
chops off everything past 35 characters.  So better to put the real
subject early and add something like "Ex: hot pepper oil" after that.

Dan LaLiberte
liberte@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA
ihnp4!uiucdcs!liberte

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (07/07/85)

In article <487@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:

>> Why do people generate subject lines like the above when writing
>> followups?

>[Jerry then points out that he does it so that people who have been following
>the original discussion will know to read the article.]

Another reason is newsreaders like 'rn', which will only follow a thread
of discussion based on the "Subject:" lines.  (Aside to Larry Wall -- how
difficult would it be to run the thread based on the partial ordering
provided by the "References:" line?)

>Maybe we need a new header ala:
> 	Subject: caramel sauce
> 	Originally: hot pepper oil

An excellent idea!  Rn and such readers could then follow the discussion
thread properly.  How about "Original-Subject:", though?
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (07/08/85)

> Why do people generate subject lines like the above when writing
> followups?  Today in net.cooks I saw one that said
> 	Re: hot pepper oil (really caramel sauce)
>
> The one subject has absolutely nothing to do with the other, and hot
> pepper oil was mentioned nowhere in the article.  Does the news software
> make it so hard to change the subject line on a followup?

No; in fact, the person who added the "(really caramel sauce)" did change
the subject line.  I presume they left the original junk in there because
they thought it would tie it in better with the original article.  If I post
a followup to an article which diverges from the topic of the original
article, I just replace the subject line in its entirety; if people really
want a pointer back to the original article, they can use the "References:"
line.

	Guy Harris

sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) (07/09/85)

From: geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) Message-ID: <114@desint.UUCP>

> In article <487@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
> >Maybe we need a new header ala:
> > 	Subject: caramel sauce
> > 	Originally: hot pepper oil

> An excellent idea!  Rn and such readers could then follow the discussion
> thread properly.  How about "Original-Subject:", though?

I edit the Subject line and add a Keywords line. Does rn scan that line?
While we're into new names, how about "Ref-Subject:" instead?

					      Sunil Trivedi
					    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
					...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil

     "Beam me up fast Scotty - there's no toilet paper down here!"