[comp.windows.x] VMS novice seeks incantation for DecWindows

thp@westhawk.UUCP ("Timothy H Panton.") (11/02/90)

I have a pc with X on it and a VMS VAX with UCX and DecWindows.
How do I get them to talk ?
I'm looking for the equivalent of
	setenv DISPLAY hepc:0.0
and possibly a rune or two to get it to use TCP/IP. (Telnet works fine).
Thanks in advance.
Tim.

Ps,  RTFM's accepted, but they are on the other end of a 64kbit link just now.
T.

kpt@ibism.UUCP (Kevin Tyson) (11/03/90)

In article <9011011745.AA00172@westhawk.uucp>, thp@westhawk.UUCP ("Timothy H Panton.") writes:

> I have a pc with X on it and a VMS VAX with UCX and DecWindows.
> How do I get them to talk ?
> I'm looking for the equivalent of
> 	setenv DISPLAY hepc:0.0

> and possibly a rune or two to get it to use TCP/IP. (Telnet works fine).
> Thanks in advance.
> Tim.
>
> Ps,  RTFM's accepted, but they are on the other end of a 64kbit link just now.
> T.

$ SET DISPLAY/CREATE/NODE=<your pc node name>/TRANSPORT=TCPIP
$ CREATE/TERMINAL/DETACH

The above two lines will create a DreckTerminal window on you pc.  I do
something similar after I rlogin from my sun to our VAXStation.  To bring up
the desktop utilities try the following commands:

$ CREATE/TERMINAL MCR VUE$MASTER
    This creates file view.
$ CREATE/TERMINAL MCR DECW$MAIL
    This creates a DreckWindows mail session.
$ CREATE/TERMINAL LSE/DISPLAY=DECWINDOWS
    This creates an editing session window.
$ CREATE/TERMINAL MCR DECW$BOOK
    This creates a book reader window.  I have found that running the X client
    of the book reader on the SS1+ is significantly faster then running it on the
    3100.

One thing you will find is that DEC uses private fonts in some of these
utilities which will cause them to die when you create them.  The quick fix I
have found is to take a bdf fixed font from the R4 distribution, edit the
header so that the name matches what the DEC software is expecting, bdftosnf,
mkfontdir, xset fp+ and presto the DEC software is happy.  I still have two
problems.  The first is quite minor.  When I attempt to use the menus in
VUE$MASTER I get the following errors on SYS$OUTPUT:  and nothing visual
happens on the XClient side.  The second problem is somewhat more bothersome.
I cannot seem to create XClients on the Vax from the Sun or our Ultrix box.
TFM says to use the security entry in the customization menu of the session
manager to specify node, username and transport.  I have tried TCPIP * * and
TCPIP node user, the latter requires hand editing the file as the utility
converts node and user to upper case.  Neither works.  Each results in the
Can't open display error on the unix side.  If you, or anyone else knows how
to use UCX so that the XClient is on the Vax side I'd greatly appreciate
hearing about it.  Likewise for any documentation on the widget hierarchy used
in the DEC desktop utilities.

Errors: