[comp.windows.x] X and OpenWindows libraries

jaysun@tigereye.cs.clemson.edu (Jay Williamson(System Janitor)) (10/22/90)

I am wanting to get rid of some duplicate libraries shared between X
and OpenWindows.  Many of the basic X libs are duplicated between the
two.  Libs such as X11, Xau, Xext, Xt are in both distributions.
If progs were compiled statically then it should not matter and if
they were compiled dynamically then it shouldn't matter as long as
the major number of the lib is the same.  Since the X11 distribution
will be more recent and I can keep it up to date with patches then
I would like to keep them and remove some of the OW libs. I have 2 big
questions:
(1) For X11 lib in OW the minor number is 3 where my X dist
is 2.  I don't have all the X patches so that may change in my future
X11 libs.  Does anyone know if Sun made any changes to their libs to
make me want to use them instead??

(2) OW has the .sa lib file for lib X11.  The manuals say the absence
of this file. if needed, will greatly degrade performance.  Why does
the OW dist have one and the X11 dist not??  Does the X dist libX11
really need one??

With all this said... what is the best plan of action??  Not only do
I want to get back some disk space, it can sometimes cause little
hard to solve problems having multiple libraries around.

Please send directly to me when possible.  If I get more then 1 or 2
people asking for results then I will submit it back to windows.x

Thanks,

Jay Williamson, Systems Manager              Clemson University
jaysun@cs.clemson.edu                        Computer Science Dept.
(803) 656-5884                               Clemson, S.C.  29634-1906

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (11/03/90)

In article <11081@hubcap.clemson.edu> jaysun@tigereye.cs.clemson.edu (Jay Williamson(System Janitor)) writes:
>I am wanting to get rid of some duplicate libraries shared between X
>and OpenWindows.  Many of the basic X libs are duplicated between the
>two.  Libs such as X11, Xau, Xext, Xt are in both distributions.
>If progs were compiled statically then it should not matter and if
>they were compiled dynamically then it shouldn't matter as long as
>the major number of the lib is the same.  Since the X11 distribution
>will be more recent and I can keep it up to date with patches then
>I would like to keep them and remove some of the OW libs. I have 2 big
>questions:
>(1) For X11 lib in OW the minor number is 3 where my X dist
>is 2.  I don't have all the X patches so that may change in my future
>X11 libs.  Does anyone know if Sun made any changes to their libs to
>make me want to use them instead??

The Sun additions are

        - compose character processing in XLookupString
        - DNI support
        - code to retry failing socket connections on start-up

>(2) OW has the .sa lib file for lib X11.  The manuals say the absence
>of this file. if needed, will greatly degrade performance.  Why does
>the OW dist have one and the X11 dist not??  Does the X dist libX11
>really need one??

Two of the Xlib source files (evtomask.c and globals.c) have external
initializations.  Though not absolutely necessary, it helps text sharing
if these files are in the .sa library.

                                                Rick Heli
                                                Window Systems Platforms
                                                Internet:  rheli@sun.COM