[comp.windows.x] Openwindows/xterm

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) (11/01/90)

Two months ago I thought I saw xterm in the root menu of Openwindows on a Sparctation SLC.  Now I have Openwindows 2.0 on a Sparcstation IPC, and I can't find xterm anywhere except in /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x.  The release notes say that the root menu no longer contains psterm or xterm.  I have to assume that I previously saw an old version of OpenW.

I need the functionality of xterm, particularly the ability to have the graphics window appear on command from a running application, and have the application control whether its output goes to the text window or graphics window.  What do I do?

I am pretty much a novice at maintaining a workstation/operating system/OS enhancements.

Thanks in advance,
Don MacQueen
macq@miguel.llnl.gov

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (11/03/90)

In article <85228@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) writes:
>Two months ago I thought I saw xterm in the root menu of Openwindows on a Sparctation SLC.  Now I have Openwindows 2.0 on a Sparcstation IPC, and I can't find xterm anywhere except in /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x.  The release notes say that the root menu no
> longer contains psterm or xterm.  I have to assume that I previously saw an old version of OpenW.
>
>I need the functionality of xterm, particularly the ability to have the graphics window appear on command from a running application, and have the application control whether its output goes to the text window or graphics window.  What do I do?

xterm can be found in $OPENWINHOME/demo, that is, if you received OpenWindows
2.0 pre-installed on the disk or if that demo subset was chosen during
installation time.

So to use xterm from the command line, you'll probably want to add

	 $OPENWINHOME/demo

to your PATH environment variable.

You can add xterm your root menu by copying the version of the root menu
in $OPENWINHOME/lib to your home directory

        % cd
        % cp $OPENWINHOME/lib/openwin-menu .openwin-menu

and then adding something like the following to ".openwin-menu" :

        Terminals MENU
             "Xterm..." DEFAULT exec $OPENWINHOME/demo/xterm
        Terminals END PIN

--
						Rick Heli
						Internet:  rheli@sun.COM