[comp.windows.x] Viewing TIFF files

amc@wlv.imsd.contel.com (Allen M. Cohen) (11/01/90)

Does anyone know of a utility for viewing TIFF picture files within an
X-Window?  Is there a conversion program, say, GIF to TIFF?

(It seems that "xloadimage" does not support TIFF).
Thanks...
<> Allen M. Cohen                     Internet:  amc@wlv.imsd.contel.com    <>
<> 3041 E. Black Hills Ct.            UUCP:      wlbr!wlv!amc               <>
<> Westlake Village, Ca. 91362        Telephone: (805) 498-9611 ext. 195    <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

jon@motcsd.csd.mot.com (jonathan.ma) (11/02/90)

In article <60143@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> amc@wlv.imsd.contel.com (Allen M. Cohen) writes:
>Does anyone know of a utility for viewing TIFF picture files within an
>X-Window?  Is there a conversion program, say, GIF to TIFF?

I'm using FrameMaker 2.1X to do desktop publishing.  It came with a program to
convert TIFF to XWD format, so that they can be imported into FrameMaker.
I hope this is helpful.  Frame included quite a few convertion programs, I
usually use "tifftorf" to convert TIFF (on a 386 PC) to rasterfiles for import-
ing.  I have other utilities to do convertions on PC (GWS, GCP, etc) and on
Unix (PBM+).

--
-Jon-		Jonathan Ma, Motorola, Commerical Systems Division
		Phone: (408) 366-4191  FAX: (408) 366-4125

thompson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (11/02/90)

The National Center for Supercomputing Applications has developed
a reformatting program called (can you guess...) "Reformat".
Reformat uses an X window interface and will allow you to convert
convert TIFF, FITS, GIF, X window dumps, Sun raster, and raw raster
to HDF.  Once the image is in HDF format, you can then look at it using
NCSA X Image.  With X Image, you can display the image, create contours,
create 8 level graylevel bitmaps, histograms, profile plots, manipulate
the color map, or animate sequences of images in memory or from disk.

You can pick up this stuff from NCSA's anon ftp server
ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50).  XImage executables for various platforms
are provided on the server as well as source.

Dave Thompson

4035 Beckman, Drawer 25	      Internet: davet@ncsa.uiuc.edu
405 North Mathews Ave.        Usenet: {ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!zaphod!davet
Urbana, IL 61801              Bitnet: 14011@ncsagate.bitnet
voice (217) 244-1957          CSNet: davet%zaphod@uiuc.csnet
fax   (217) 244-1987

sears@dungeon.enet.dec.com (Chris Sears) (11/03/90)

Alan,

	you should use XTiff.  XTiff displays all of the types of TIFF
images that I know of and that libtiff supports.  It manages the negotiation
of the correct visual and displays the image.  It doesn't dither images;
read that to mean that a 24-bit image can be displayed on a monochrome
framebuffer.  It does extend images; read that to mean that 2-bit images
can be displayed using 4-bit visuals.

	XTiff is on expo in contrib/xtiff.tar.Z and on uunet
in X/contrib/xtiff.tar.Z.  It requires Sam Leffler's libtiff library.

	Chris Sears
	sears@dungeon.pa.dec.com

sears@dungeon.enet.dec.com (Chris Sears) (11/03/90)

Alan,

	you should use XTiff.  XTiff correctly displays all of the TIFF
image type that I'm aware of and that libtiff supports.  It manages the
selection of an X visual and displays the image.  It won't dither an image,
so 24-bit images are not viewable on monochrome but it will extend
images so that 2-bit NeXT images can be displayed on a 4-bit HP.

	XTiff is on expo.lcs.mit.edu in contib/xtiff.tar.Z and on
uunet.uu.net in X/contrib/xtiff.tar.Z

	Chris Sears
	sears@dungeon.pa.dec.com