[comp.windows.x] X on VMS

garry@OAK.CADIF.CORNELL.EDU.UUCP (02/27/87)

>I am running X V10R3 on a Vaxstation II. I noticed that there is
>DecNet support in X and should like to know whether somebody has
>succeeded in porting enough of Xlib to VMS to be able to build
>clients on VMS hosts.

DEC is rumored to be switching from "UIS" to X for the GPX's and future
machines. Don't know whether this is a good idea - I like the way UIS
does a few things, such as the keyboard binding and the AST support -
but I can see DEC's reasoning. You might see what you can find out
from your salesman or from Athena.

garry wiegand

garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu
[warning: this message probably has bad mail headers]
------

wyatt@cfa.UUCP (02/28/87)

> DEC is rumored to be switching from "UIS" to X for the GPX's and future
> machines. [...]

Not a rumor - the anouncement of (I think it's called) DecWindows, which
is a V11 X as a common user interface to *all* DEC OS's (read VMS & Ultrix)
was made Jan 26th. Many other vendors (Apollo, Masscomp, Adobe, IBM,
Siemens, Sony) are also going to X. Actually, X v10 already has DECnet
support (server compile time option), and client code has been
compilable under VMS for quite some time now.
--

Bill    UUCP:  {seismo|ihnp4}!harvard!talcott!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (09/23/87)

Our DEC sales rep. claims that DEC will come out with an X based
"DEC Windows" for VMS, but he told us not to hold our breaths.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

robinson@cp0201.bellcore.com (Ken Robinson) (10/25/90)

Has anyone tried to build and install X11R4 on VMS.  I'm not talking
about DECwindows but the FULL X11 release.

Thanks
Ken Robinson
Bellcore
(908)699-8796
robinson@cp0201.bellcore.com
rbnsn@cc.bellcore.com

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/26/90)

In article <28187@bellcore.bellcore.com>, robinson@cp0201.bellcore.com (Ken Robinson) writes:
|> Has anyone tried to build and install X11R4 on VMS.  I'm not talking
|> about DECwindows but the FULL X11 release.

DECUS can supply you with most MIT X clients ported to VMS.  Porting
the server to VMS is a major undertaking.  I don't there are any VMS X
servers other that those in DECwindows.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

taylort@decus.com.au (11/05/90)

In article <28187@bellcore.bellcore.com>, robinson@cp0201.bellcore.com (Ken Robinson) writes:
> Has anyone tried to build and install X11R4 on VMS.  I'm not talking
> about DECwindows but the FULL X11 release.

DECwindows V3.0, which will is about to go to Field Test, is
an X11R4 server and includes Motif V1.1. Why would you want to
go to all the trouble to port the server (and it is not easy :-))
when DEC is doing it anyway?

While on the subject of R4, I would like to point out that many
of the R4 MIT clients now use the Toolkit and Athena widgets. I have
attempted to port these to the existing DECwindows, but there are
too many differences. (In particular, there are R4 routines which
are absent in DEC's R3 implementation.)

The set of clients which I submitted to the DECUS Library is from
the R3 distribution. As soon as I can get my hands on an R4 server
for VMS I will start porting the R4 clients. (Hopefully this will
be the last time. With a little help from the guys at MIT, I'll
try to get the changes incorporated into the MIT distribution.)

	Trevor