[comp.windows.x] Loading BDF fonts under VMS DECwindows

taylort@decus.com.au (11/05/90)

>From: spsisira@sdrc.UUCP (Sisira Jayasinghe)
>Subject: Loading a font defined in a dbf file under DECWindows
>
>     I would like to read a font defined in a BDF file from
>DECWindows. I compiled the BDF file using bdf2pcf and created
>a pcf file. Then, try to read it by setting font path using
>Xlib routine XSetFontPath, but XLoadFont returns with error.

There is a DCL command FONT which can be used to compile
a BDF file. The DECwindows documentation includes only
two pages on this. It creates a file with a type of
".DECW$FONT".

>     I must be doing something wrong. There is no documentation
>I could find in "GREY" manuals how to do font compilation under
>DECWindows. Same program successfully runs under Ultrex.
>I would greatly appreciate any help in getting this to
>work. I am running VMS 5.3-1 and DECWindows V2.0.

Yes. You need to put the compiled font (not the pcf) into
one of the user directories:
	SYS$COMMON:[SYSFONT.DECW.USER_100DPI]
	SYS$COMMON:[SYSFONT.DECW.USER_75DPI]
then reset the font path. You can do this either by restarting
the server:
	$ @SYS$MANAGER:DECW$STARTUP RESTART
or using the xset program:
	$ xset fp rehash
NOTE: xset is an MIT client available through the DECUS Library.

	Trevor