[comp.windows.x] 3D widgets in the Openlook

mat60@portia.Stanford.EDU (Mark Thomas) (11/03/90)

How do you get 3D wigets in Openlook? not Xview
I think that they are diffrent.

Next assuming that they are diffrent. I know where I can get
Xview source, but not XtIntrinsics source.
Are They the Same?

Please Enlighten me on this puzzel.
Thanks.

cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) (11/05/90)

Mark Thomas writes:

> How do you get 3D wigets in Openlook? not Xview
> I think that they are diffrent.
>
> Next assuming that they are diffrent. I know where I can get
> Xview source, but not XtIntrinsics source.
> Are They the Same?

I presume both questions refer to AT&T's Xt based OPEN LOOK toolkit.  AT&T
insist on calling this OPEN LOOK, apparently to cause confusion, while
Sun call it the OPEN LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit (OLIT), which is rather more
descriptive.

The current version of OLIT does not support 3D user interface elements.
I believe that there is a version in the works that uses the OPEN LOOK
graphics library and will support 3D elements.  I have no idea when this
might appear.

If you need the sources to OLIT you will have to contact AT&T.  I believe
that Ma Bell will (antisocially) require you to present them with a sizeable
stack of portraits of dead presidents.

			Chris Flatters

ytsai@attunix.att.COM (11/06/90)

Chris Flatters <cflatter@zia.aoc.nrao.edu> writes:

    > Mark Thomas writes:
    >
    >>> How do you get 3D wigets in Openlook? not Xview
    >>> I think that they are diffrent.
    >>>
    >>> Next assuming that they are diffrent. I know where I can get
    >>> Xview source, but not XtIntrinsics source.
    >>> Are They the Same?
    >
    > I presume both questions refer to AT&T's Xt based OPEN LOOK toolkit.  AT&T
    > insist on calling this OPEN LOOK, apparently to cause confusion, while

Should we give up the name of OPEN LOOK just because it stands for something
else?

(-: OPEN LOOK is a registered trademark of UNIX System Lab. [USL] :-)

    > Sun call it the OPEN LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit (OLIT), which is rather more
    > descriptive.
    >
    > The current version of OLIT does not support 3D user interface elements.
    > I believe that there is a version in the works that uses the OPEN LOOK
    > graphics library and will support 3D elements.  I have no idea when this
    > might appear.

The current version of OPEN LOOK does support 3D and mouseless (and of
course the pushpin).  It is just the matter of schedule when the ISV's
are going to release it.

    > If you need the sources to OLIT you will have to contact AT&T.  I believe
    > that Ma Bell will (antisocially) require you to present them with a
    > sizeable stack of portraits of dead presidents.

Are you saying that you don't need G. Washington to help acquire the Motif
coming with your DECstation 3100 or IBM/6000?  Yeap, you don't because it
doesn't show on the bill.  But, the fact is that both OPEN LOOK and Motif
cost the same for the source code.  I suppose it would be a BIG surprise
to you, wouldn't it?

    > 			Chris Flatters
    > ----------

-- Charles Tsai

   Bell Lab.
   190 River Road, SF4-236
   Summit, NJ 07901

   voice:  (908) 522-6681
   e-mail: att!attunix!ytsai
           ytsai@attunix.att.com

hvr@eng.sun.COM (Heather Rose) (11/07/90)

> >From xpert-mailer@expo.lcs.mit.edu Fri Nov  2 21:05:00 1990
> From: agate!shelby!portia.stanford.edu!mat60@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Mark Thomas)
> Subject: 3D widgets in the Openlook (XtIntrinsics) env
> Sender: xpert-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu
> To: xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu
>
> How do you get 3D wigets in Openlook? not Xview
> I think that they are diffrent.
>
> Next assuming that they are diffrent. I know where I can get
> Xview source, but not XtIntrinsics source.
> Are They the Same?

XView and the OPEN LOOK Xt Intrinsics products are different.  The XView
toolkit from Sun Microsystems writes directly to Xlib and offers a
SunView compatible API.  The OPEN LOOK toolkit from AT&T/USL writes to
the Xt intrinsics and offers an Xt style API compatible with other Xt
based widget sets (it's most similar to Athena and HP widgets).

The OPEN LOOK X Toolkit (OL) from AT&T/USL used to be known as "Xt+" and is
offered by Sun Microsystems with the OpenWindows Version 2 (OWV2) product
under the name of the OPEN LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit (OLIT).  The current
release of OL source from AT&T/USL is 2.0+ which is what OLIT 2.0 is
based on.  The major difference between Sun's OLIT 2.0 and AT&T/USL's
OL 2.0+ product is that OLIT 2.0 is based on the X11R4 Xt Intrinsics
while OL 2.x is based on the X11R3 Xt Intrinsics. (This was
necessary since OWV2 is an X11R4 based X environment.)

The next release of the OL source product from AT&T/USL will include
the 3-D look with its widgets based on the X11R4 Xt Intrinsics among other
features.  Stay tuned for announcements from USL on source availability
for the next release of OL.  If you are interested in OLIT binary
availability from Sun, please contact me, Heather Rose at (415) 336-4846
or by email at hvr@eng.sun.com.  The next release of OLIT will have the
3-D look.

One can get the toolkit binaries from software suppliers.  Please contact
AT&T/USL as to availablility for platforms other than Sun.  1-800-ATT-UNIX
is the main number.  One may purchase source to the OL widget set from
AT&T/USL.  Prices are competitive with other commercially offered toolkits.
Sun also offers OLIT source as part of the OpenWindows Version 2 (OWV2)
source product (formal announcement coming soon on OWV2 source licensing).
Also, source to both XView and OL are available on the System V
Release 4 (SVR4) graphics update tape from AT&T/USL (based on OW 1.0.1).

Note:  USL, UNIX System Labs, is no longer a division within AT&T, but
a separate company (currently wholely owned by AT&T.)  USL only sells
source, not binaries.  AT&T's Computer Systems Business (CSB) offers the
OL binaries for the machines they sell running either SVR3.2 or SVR4.

Regards,

Heather Rose, hvr@eng.sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

>Should we give up the name of OPEN LOOK just because it stands for something
>else?

You should give up calling the toolkit just "OPEN LOOK" with no extra
adornments, yes; before it ever was the name of a toolkit (i.e., back
when you still called it "XT+" or whatever), it was the name of a look
and feel.  (I tend to refer to the Motif widget set as "Xm", not
"Motif"; after all, absent a fair bit of legal hostility from OSF,
something I sincerely hope they avoid, I suspect you'll see toolkits
other than Xm that implement the Motif L&F.)

How about calling it, oh, say, to pick an arbitrary name, "the OPEN LOOK
Intrinsics Toolkit"? :-)