[comp.windows.x] NCD fonts

hassan@acsu.buffalo.edu (scott hassan) (10/31/90)

How do you load fonts onto a NCD X windows server?
Everytime I try to load fonts using 'xset +fp fonts; xset fp rehash',
the fonts never get loaded.  But when using a SUN workstation and
using the same commands, it works beautifully.
Is there a problem with the NCD servers that doesn't allow for

				Thanks,

				Scott W. Hassan
				SUNY at Buffalo
				Amherst, NY

p.s.  If anyone knows any information about my problem, please
	mail directly to me.  Thanks.

x-window@uni-paderborn.de (X-Window Betreuung) (11/02/90)

In article <43330@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> hassan@acsu.buffalo.edu (scott hassan) writes:

   How do you load fonts onto a NCD X windows server?
   Everytime I try to load fonts using 'xset +fp fonts; xset fp rehash',
   the fonts never get loaded.  But when using a SUN workstation and
   using the same commands, it works beautifully.
   Is there a problem with the NCD servers that doesn't allow for

				   Thanks,

				   Scott W. Hassan
				   SUNY at Buffalo
				   Amherst, NY

   p.s.  If anyone knows any information about my problem, please
	   mail directly to me.  Thanks.

We have no problem loading fonts on our NCD's. There's only one
Problem we ran into: If the fonts are 16-bit compressed, the NCD
doesn't understand them.
Solution: compress the fonts with 12-bit (compress -b 12).

There is another problem: The NCD must have access to the font-path,
i.e. if the fonts are on zeus:/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc the NCD has to
mount zeus:/usr/lib/X11/... on /usr/lib/X11/... OR it must have
tftp-access to the fonts which means that there is no secure tftp (you
can check this by evaluating /etc/inetd.conf . If there is a line with
 ... tftp -s then there is secure tftp.

Hope this helps

--Swen

---->  Swen Thuemmler  *  X-Betreuung  *  <swen@uni-paderborn.de>  <----

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (11/04/90)

> How do you load fonts onto a NCD X windows server?

I don't know, but...

> Everytime I try to load fonts using 'xset +fp fonts; xset fp rehash',
> the fonts never get loaded.  But when using a SUN workstation and
> using the same commands, it works beautifully.

The font path is interpreted by the *server*.  You have to make sure
that the string you hand to xset is something that the server can deal
with.  When running on your Sun, the server interprets the font path as
a list of directory names, and it very conveniently happens that the
server is using the same filesystem as you are, so everything is
deceptively straightforward.

> Is there a problem with the NCD servers that doesn't allow for

I don't know how NCD boxes get their fonts, but I suspect that you
either aren't passing the string in the correct form (perhaps the NCD
doesn't use UNIX-style paths for its font path?) or else the NCD has a
different filesystem viewpoint from yours (perhaps it gets the fonts
from a different machine from the one your directories are on?).

> p.s.  If anyone knows any information about my problem, please mail
>       directly to me.  Thanks.

But you don't give an address.  I'm making a guess from the headers,
but I'm not too sanguine about the propects for its getting to you....

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

anoosh@mips.COM (Anoosh Hosseini) (11/06/90)

In article <43330@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, hassan@acsu.buffalo.edu (scott hassan) writes:
> How do you load fonts onto a NCD X windows server?
> Everytime I try to load fonts using 'xset +fp fonts; xset fp rehash',
> the fonts never get loaded.  But when using a SUN workstation and
> using the same commands, it works beautifully.
> Is there a problem with the NCD servers that doesn't allow for
>
> 				Thanks,
>
> 				Scott W. Hassan
> 				SUNY at Buffalo
> 				Amherst, NY
>
> p.s.  If anyone knows any information about my problem, please
> 	mail directly to me.  Thanks.

I had this problem too, Our local guru looked at the makefile
for compiling the NCD fonts, and it turns out our NCD (Mips)
version compiles (bdftosnf) the .bdf file with -p4 option.  So after
recompiling the .bdf file in question with this option, The NCD was
able to read the .snf file  and download it. Hope this helps.

-anoosh

db@sunbim.be (Danny Backx) (11/07/90)

Subject: Re:  NCD fonts

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU writes:
>> Is there a problem with the NCD servers that doesn't allow for
>
>I don't know how NCD boxes get their fonts, but I suspect that you
>either aren't passing the string in the correct form (perhaps the NCD
>doesn't use UNIX-style paths for its font path?) or else the NCD has a
>different filesystem viewpoint from yours (perhaps it gets the fonts
>from a different machine from the one your directories are on?).

I do know. We distribute these things.
Basically, you can use three methods : NFS, TFTP, and DAP (=DECnet).

I'll only go into the NFS. An NCD is an NFS client. Therefore, it has a tiny
filesystem inside, which consists of what you mount. In the configuration file,
you can put something like :
	nfs-file-systems =
		mercator:/home/X11r4	/home/X11r4
		mercator:/usr/lib/X11	/usr/lib/X11
		mercator:/tmp		/tmp
which means that you mount 3 directory trees from the NFS server mercator on
'directories' with the same names in the NCD. You can off course use different
names. You can also mount partitions from more than one host.

Important is that /usr/lib/X11 usually is a symbolic link. The NFS protocol
is aware of symbolic links. Therefore, you MUST also mount the partition that
the link points to. In my case,
		/usr/lib/X11 -> /home/X11r4/sun4/usr/lib/X11
Therefore, /home/X11r4 had to be mounted also...

Note that an NCD has a diagnostics window, in which you can see the X server's
error messages. With the recent NCDware version 2.2, you can have the NCD put
this in a file on your favourite NFS server also. (Which is why I mount /tmp.)

So, in conclusion: if you want to use a font directory with your NCD, it MUST
be accessible through NFS, TFTP, or DAP.

	Danny Backx
	BIM Networks System Engineer

E-Mail: db@sunbim.be    (or uunet!mcsun!ub4b!sunbim!db)

Telephone: +32(2)759.59.25	Fax : +32(2)759.47.95

Postal Mail :
	Danny Backx
	BIM
	Kwikstraat 4