We have a Sun 4/370 with a cg6 and a cg9 controller and a GPX
accelerator.  The cg6 is the console.  Running X11R4, Motif 1.1,
SunOS 4.1.

#1: How do we start a server to recognize both screens?  Is there
	anything special to do with cgconfig in /etc/rc.local to
	allow it to work?

#2: Does someone have a cg9 version of DDX?

#3: Are there any tricks for running Motif on two screens?

#4: Is there a version of the server with GPX support?

#5: We know that moving windows between screens is not generally
	possible.  Are there any other brands of equipment which
	support two (or more) screens where one can move windows
	between the screens?

Thanks for your help!

--Jeremy

--
Jeremy Epstein			UUCP: uunet!trwacs!epstein
Trusted X Research Group	Internet: epstein@trwacs.fp.trw.com

david@eng.sun.com (Play an accordion, go to jail) (11/03/90)

In article <219@trwacs.UUCP> epstein@trwacs.UUCP (Jeremy Epstein) writes:
>We have a Sun 4/370 with a cg6 and a cg9 controller and a GPX
>accelerator.  The cg6 is the console.  Running X11R4, Motif 1.1,
>SunOS 4.1.
>
>#1: How do we start a server to recognize both screens?  Is there
>	anything special to do with cgconfig in /etc/rc.local to
>	allow it to work?

gpconfig (not cgconfig) just initializes the GP2 graphics processor (aka
GXP).  It has nothing to do with X.

>#2: Does someone have a cg9 version of DDX?

You can use the cg8 patches posted to comp.sources.x.  However, I think
you will have to run a patched server on the cg9 and a normal server on
the cg6.

>#3: Are there any tricks for running Motif on two screens?

Don't know.

>#4: Is there a version of the server with GPX support?

If you mean GXP (GP2/cg9), no.  If you mean GX (cg6), use Sun OW2.0.

>#5: We know that moving windows between screens is not generally
>	possible.  Are there any other brands of equipment which
>	support two (or more) screens where one can move windows
>	between the screens?

No.

--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  david@eng.sun.com

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (11/06/90)

Jeremy Epstein <epstein@trwacs.UUCP> asks:

	#5: We know that moving windows between screens is not generally
	    possible.  Are there any other brands of equipment which
	    support two (or more) screens where one can move windows
	    between the screens?

Since his affiliation is with the "Trusted X Project" or whatever, I
read this question as "are there any other windowing models that
support this?" - which of course, the Macintosh does.

/jordan

uad1077@dircon.uucp (11/08/90)

>> Discussion of Apple-style multiple screen support.

Don't get them to change X!  I'm making a reasonable living fixing things
for people who want a Cinemascope display under X  (geologists, meterologists,
etc. etc.).

Seriously, folks, the Cinemascope approach and the existing X approach
seem to be so totally at odds with each other that trying to fudge it
with a server extension would stand a good chance of making things worse
for everybody.  The stuff I do lets you choose at server startup time
and that's IT.  I do have a research window server that has all this
stuff built in from the foundations, and its internal structure is quite
different to anything you've seen in either X or NeWS.  This implies
doing Cinemascope as anything other than a hack reuiqres a total rewrite
and subsequent bug infestation.

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP