[comp.windows.x] a question of GUI style

wood@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (T_Rex) (11/02/90)

Hello,
	I'm in the process of writing a X based front end for a database.
I'm running into some confusion and conflicts in the process..I thought
the collective net.wisdom might help me clear this up.

	In a nut, I'm converting a text-based database front end. The
functionality of the original front end must be retained, and, hopefully,
the improved display tech. will allow for displaying data in a fashion that
reflects (some of ) the relationships between data items.

	Two main problems have arisen..a) it seems that as I attempt to
appease both 'old' and 'new' functionality of the front-end, I'm getting
further and further away from the event-driven approach that seems to be at
the heart of X. Rather than waiting around for whatever it is the user decides
to do, I'm forcing sequences of actions on him/her.
...b) finding a way to elegantly incorporate the old functionality....most of
these queries simpley return some amount of text, and it seems like an awful
waste of time to just return reams of data in a window..what's the point?

	I guess what I'm looking for is input and/or references on building
graphical front ends intelligently...literature on this topic seems to be
scarce.

I could go on about this, but for now..

Comments, Suggestions?

Thanks,		Pete Wood

thp@westhawk.UUCP ("Timothy H Panton.") (11/08/90)

wood@rutgers.edu writes:
> I'm in the process of writing a X based front end for a database.
> The functionality of the original front end must be retained
I've been around this loop, and there are 2 issues.

 1) User interface.
My experience is that trying to stick closely to a ascii based
gives unsatisfactory results. The problem is that the limitations
(screen size, bandwidth etc)that defined the layout and menus etc. aren't there
anymore. Users are very soon aware of this and grumble about it not being
flexible. If you can get the management agreement it is probably best to go
to a "full" X multi windowed style first. You will almost certainly end up doing
it in the end.

 2) Internal program design.
 Many of the current crop of X programs are just frontends
to ascii programs (Xmh, xdbx etc). I've written one, and it alows one to stick
with the event driven approach. The only difference is that there are 2 sources
of events, the Xserver (user) and the backend (data-base). Xt handles this very
well.
In your case I'd try to find a low level interface to the database (SQL??)
to talk to.

Hope that helped.
Tim
|Tim Panton, Westhawk Ltd.    "... avoiding vain and profane babblings."     |
|Phone: +44 928722574                              -1 Timothy 6:20.          |
|uucp : ..!mcvax!ukc!westhawk!thp                                            |
|Paper: Westhawk Ltd. 26 Rydal Grove, Helsby, Cheshire, WA6 OET. UK.         |