[comp.windows.x] MIT vs OpenWindows X libraries

cheung@titan.sw.mcc.com (Po Cheung) (11/01/90)

We are running OpenWindows on our Suns and we maintain two sets of
shared X libraries, one set from OpenWindows and the other set from
MIT X distribution.

After applying all the MIT fixes and rebuilding the entire MIT
distribution, including libraries and clients, running xterm and
linking it dynamically against the OpenWindows X libraries gives
rise to these warning messages:

Warning: Widget class VendorShell version mismatch (recompilation needed):
  widget 11004 vs. intrinsics 11003.
Warning: Widget class SimpleMenu version mismatch (recompilation needed):
  widget 11004 vs. intrinsics 11003.
Warning: Widget class VT100 version mismatch (recompilation needed):
  widget 11004 vs. intrinsics 11003.
Warning: Widget class Scrollbar version mismatch (recompilation needed):
  widget 11004 vs. intrinsics 11003.

One solution to this problem is to unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
running any X client built with the 'fixed' MIT X libraries.

My question about a second solution :

How about we increase the minor version number of the MIT Xt library
(to make it more recent than the OpenWindows Xt library) so that clients
built with the MIT X libraries will always link properly without being
affected by the setting of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable?

Is it okay to change the minor version number of the Xt library in this
respect?

Thanks,
Po Cheung
cheung@mcc.com

cheung@titan.sw.mcc.com (Po Cheung) (11/03/90)

Another way to avoid the widget class version mismatch warnings is to
replace the OpenWindows Xt libraries with the patched MIT Xt libraries.

Can someone from Sun please comment on this?  Will this break any
existing OpenWindows applications ?

Po Cheung
cheung@mcc.com

lpgc@argyll.Eng.Sun.COM (Laurence P. G. Cable x65766) (11/04/90)

In article <4386@titan.sw.mcc.com>, cheung@titan.sw.mcc.com (Po Cheung) writes:
> We are running OpenWindows on our Suns and we maintain two sets of
> shared X libraries, one set from OpenWindows and the other set from
> MIT X distribution.
>
> After applying all the MIT fixes and rebuilding the entire MIT
> distribution, including libraries and clients, running xterm and
> linking it dynamically against the OpenWindows X libraries gives
> rise to these warning messages:
>
> Warning: Widget class VendorShell version mismatch (recompilation needed):
>   widget 11004 vs. intrinsics 11003.
> Warning: Widget class SimpleMenu version mismatch (recompilation needed):
>   widget 11004 vs. intrinsics 11003.
> Warning: Widget class VT100 version mismatch (recompilation needed):
>   widget 11004 vs. intrinsics 11003.
> Warning: Widget class Scrollbar version mismatch (recompilation needed):
>   widget 11004 vs. intrinsics 11003.

	Hi,

	The problem you are encountering is due to a patch to the
	XT_REVISION #define in IntrinsicP.h that occurred (I believe)
	in fix-14 from MIT. The libXt we shipped on OpenWindows V2
	is "vanilla" X11R4 up to and including fix-13, unfortunately
	the patch containing the new revision number arrived too late
	for inclusion into the product. The error messages are in the
	main harmless but annoying. Since our library is unaltered
	from the MIT release I can see nothing wrong in superceding
	it with a more up to date copy (although should you encounter
	problems and report them .... please indicate the fix level
	you are at .. and check to see if the same bug exists with
	the supplied version also ..... )

	apologies

	Larry Cable,

	Project Leader, Open Look Intrinsics Toolkit, Sun Microsystems.

802374130%RUMAC@UPR1.UPR.CUN.EDU (11/08/90)

Hi
	This in reference to a mail talking about version mismatch between
Widgets used when compiling XWindows applications and running them under
OpenLook 2.0.
	THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WHEN YOU DO RUN THIS TYPE OF PROGRAMS.
IF YOU RUN XFIG 2.0pl8 AND DRAW SOMETHING AND THEN ASK FOR THE FONT MENU,
IT WILL CRASH IF RUNNING UNDER OpenWindows 2.0. THIS IS ONLY IF IT WAS
COMPILED USING THE MIT LIBRARIES...
	ANYBODY HAVE ANY COMMENTS, IS IT AN XFIG BUG OR OW FAULT????

David Gonzalez /802374130%rumac@upr1.upr.cun.edu
XWindows Maintenance Team
For the University of Puerto Rico

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (11/09/90)

In article <0A2D8C1C649F0085AB@UPR1.UPR.CUN.EDU>,
802374130%RUMAC@UPR1.UPR.CUN.EDU writes:
|> Hi
|> 	This in reference to a mail talking about version mismatch between
|> Widgets used when compiling XWindows applications and running them under
|> OpenLook 2.0.
|> 	THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WHEN YOU DO RUN THIS TYPE OF PROGRAMS.
|> IF YOU RUN XFIG 2.0pl8 AND DRAW SOMETHING AND THEN ASK FOR THE FONT MENU,
|> IT WILL CRASH IF RUNNING UNDER OpenWindows 2.0. THIS IS ONLY IF IT WAS
|> COMPILED USING THE MIT LIBRARIES...
|> 	ANYBODY HAVE ANY COMMENTS, IS IT AN XFIG BUG OR OW FAULT????
|>
|> David Gonzalez /802374130%rumac@upr1.upr.cun.edu
|> XWindows Maintenance Team
|> For the University of Puerto Rico

As the maintainer of xfig 2.0, I would be interested in seeing if
it is a bug in xfig.
Please e-mail me a stack trace (preferably compiled with -g) when
xfig crashes and maybe I can determine what the problem might be.

--
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

root@fstc-chville.army.mil (Operator) (11/09/90)

802374130%RUMAC@UPR1.UPR.CUN.EDU writes:
>	This in reference to a mail talking about version mismatch between
>Widgets used when compiling XWindows applications and running them under
>OpenLook 2.0.
>	THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WHEN YOU DO RUN THIS TYPE OF PROGRAMS.
>IF YOU RUN XFIG 2.0pl8 AND DRAW SOMETHING AND THEN ASK FOR THE FONT MENU,
>IT WILL CRASH IF RUNNING UNDER OpenWindows 2.0. THIS IS ONLY IF IT WAS
>COMPILED USING THE MIT LIBRARIES...
>	ANYBODY HAVE ANY COMMENTS, IS IT AN XFIG BUG OR OW FAULT????

If it helps, I've noticed the same problem...
I'm also running xfig 2.9 under Openwin, with the MIT Xaw and Xmu libs...

Brian