[comp.windows.x] xmodmap

hagens@CS.WISC.EDU (05/04/88)

What does "sequence lost" mean?

Why is it printed when I run xmodmap with the following file:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L
keysym BackSpace = quoteleft asciitilde
keysym quoteleft = Escape

Configuration: X11R2 on IBM PC/RT with an AED running the feb 2 release
of AOS on the slow hardware.

Thanks,

Rob Hagens

toddb%tekcrl.CRL@tektronix.tek.COM (Todd Brunhoff) (05/05/88)

>> What does "sequence lost" mean?

It actually has nothing to do with the xmodmap program or the hardware
you are running on.  It is a message from an internal xlib routine
that tries to interpolate a 32 bit sequence number from the least significant
16 bits that are provided in all protocol events, replies and errors.
What it means is that Xlib thought the sequence number was marching
along quite nicely:

	0x3f01, 0x3f02... 0xfffe, 0xffff, 0x10000, 0x10001

and all of a sudden, before it could adjust its suspenders, it
looked as if the number went backwards!  Oh no!  What it suggests is
that there is a problem in Xlib, the server or your compiler.
Its also particularly interesting because a program like xmodmap
would not be generating enough requests to get the number up
high enough to overflow into the next 16 bits, like the sequence
shown above, which is where this problem usually showed up when
it was first written.

I'm afraid it doesn't happen on my machine so I bet its your compiler.
Can anyone else repeat this using xmodmap on the file

	remove Lock = Caps_Lock
	remove Control = Control_L
	keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
	keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
	add Lock = Caps_Lock
	add Control = Control_L
	keysym BackSpace = quoteleft asciitilde
	keysym quoteleft = Escape

---------------
Usenet:       {ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver,hplabs}!tektronix!crl!toddb
{CS,ARPA}net: toddb%crl.tek.csnet@relay.cs.net                       c--Q Q
US:           Todd Brunhoff; Visual Systems Lab; Tektronix, Inc.         `
              Box 500  MS 50-662, Beaverton OR 97077                     -
Phone:        (503) 627-1121

js8e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jonathan Benjamin Stigelman) (10/23/88)

I want to redefine the IBM-RT keyboard for EMACS.

How can I do this under X?  Xmodmap seems to be a step in the right direction as
it allows me to swap keys around, but it doesn't seem capable of assigning a
string of characters to one key.  Nor does it seem capable of assigning a
control code to an unmodified key.

Am I missing something about xmodmap?
Or is there another utility to assign function keys?

kochhar@endor.harvard.edu (Sandeep Kochhar) (10/05/89)

On the Dec3100 we have, the comma key generates a comma both
with and without the shift pressed.  I'd like the shift-comma
combination to generate a < (and the comma key without shift
to generate a comma).  Can someone send me an example
of how to do this using xmodmap.
Thanks.

Sandeep Kochhar
(617) 495-3988              mail: kochhar@harvard.harvard.edu
Harvard University                kochhar@harvard.csnet
33 Oxford st,                     kochhar@harvard.uucp
Cambridge, Ma 02138               kochhar@harvard.bitnet

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/05/89)

In article <2775@husc6.harvard.edu>, kochhar@endor.harvard.edu (Sandeep
Kochhar) writes:
> On the Dec3100 we have, the comma key generates a comma both
> with and without the shift pressed.  I'd like the shift-comma
> combination to generate a < (and the comma key without shift
> to generate a comma).  Can someone send me an example
> of how to do this using xmodmap.

This changes shift-comma and shift-period (on a DECstation 3100) to be <
and >, respectively:

xmodmap -e "keycode 232 = comma less" -e "keycode 237 = period greater"

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

murphy@photon.mpr.ca (Gail Murphy) (11/09/90)

I'm having trouble getting xmodmap to map the keys I require, I hope
somebody can help!

We are running DECWrite under Ultrix and displaying on SparcStations.
DECwrite makes heavy use of the "Do" key that maps to F16 (or ESC[29).
How can this key be mapped to a SparcStation key like F1?  Is xmodmap
the right client to use and will it work for applications that are simply
being displayed on a server?  What is the correct xmodmap input to do this ?

Gail Murphy                     | Voice : (604) 293-5462
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | E-Mail: murphy@eric.mpr.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5                 |         eric.mpr.ca!murphy@uunet.uu.net

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (11/10/90)

> We are running DECWrite under Ultrix and displaying on SparcStations.
> DECwrite makes heavy use of the "Do" key that maps to F16 (or
> ESC[29).  How can this key be mapped to a SparcStation key like F1?

xmodmap -e 'keysym F1 = F16'

The translation to ESC [ 2 9 (which incidentally is not a complete
escape sequence according to X3.64) happens, if at all, in the client.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu