[comp.windows.x] What am I missing?

te07@edrc.cmu.edu (Thomas Epperly) (06/23/89)

I am using a DECstation 3100 with DRECWindows.  I have tried to compile
several programs from comp.sources.x, and I have had no sucess.  I don't
have imake which has caused some problems, and I am missing somethings also.
I was just trying to compile xdvi from volume 3 of comp.sources.x, and
I can't because I am missing X11/Viewport.h and X11/Simple.h.  Can you
tell me what this means that I am missing?  DEC can you provide the
libraries and include files that it seems every publicly available X program
counts on having?
Tom
--

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (06/23/89)

>...using a DECstation 3100..
>....missing X11/Viewport.h and X11/Simple.h

Did you look in

/usr/include/mit/X11/ .. for those files?

Next level of Ultrix Workstation Software will include
most of the 'missing/unsupported' MIT stuff so you
can compile all your "publicly available X programs".

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York.

bmc@MYCROFT.MAYO.EDU (06/23/89)

Try looking in /usr/include/mit/X11. DEC has put the publicly available X
header files there. One further note, you should install the V3.1 patch tape
if you have not already done so. Otherwise you will be missing the Xmu.h file.
I hope this helps..

--Bruce

---------------------------------------
Bruce Cameron                          bmc@bru.mayo.edu
Medical Sciences 1-14                  (507) 284-3288
Mayo Foundation                        WD9CKW
Rochester, MN 55905

margaret@ms.uky.edu (Margaret) (06/23/89)

In article <5288@pt.cs.cmu.edu> te07@edrc.cmu.edu (Thomas Epperly) writes:
>DEC can you provide the
>libraries and include files that it seems every publicly available X program
>counts on having?
>Tom
>--

Thre should be an /usr/include/mit/X11 directory on your system with the
proper include files. you will have to add -I/usr/include/mit to the cc options.

						Margaret

--
Malgorzata Marek Sturgill		ARPA:   margaret@ms.uky.edu
					UUCP:   {uunet,rutgers}!ukma!margaret

jim@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Jim Providakes) (06/25/89)

In article <5288@pt.cs.cmu.edu> te07@edrc.cmu.edu (Thomas Epperly) writes:
>I am using a DECstation 3100 with DRECWindows.  I have tried to compile
>several programs from comp.sources.x, and I have had no sucess.  I don't
>have imake which has caused some problems, and I am missing somethings also.
>I was just trying to compile xdvi from volume 3 of comp.sources.x, and
>I can't because I am missing X11/Viewport.h and X11/Simple.h.  Can you
>tell me what this means that I am missing?  DEC can you provide the
>libraries and include files that it seems every publicly available X program
>counts on having?
>Tom
>--

MORTON@FCCC.EDU (Dan) (11/01/90)

In a UIL file I have declared:

	value
		yellow : color('goldenrod',background);
		red    : color('firebrick',background);

These colors are referenced as the background colors for XmPushbuttons.  On
a color Xterm, they appear as desired; on a monochrome Xterm, yellow appears
white, and read as black.  I thought the "background" declaration above
specified the appearance on monochrome devices.  What am I missing?

Return address:

Dan Morton                         Voice:  215-728-3644
Fox Chase Cancer Center
7701 Burholme Avenue               Fax:    215-728-3574
Philadelphia, PA 19111
USA				   Net:    morton@fccc.edu

libby@osf.ORG (11/01/90)

Dan <MORTON@fccc.edu> wrote:
> In a UIL file I have declared:

> 	value
> 		yellow : color('goldenrod',background);
> 		red    : color('firebrick',background);

> These colors are referenced as the background colors for XmPushbuttons.  On
> a color Xterm, they appear as desired; on a monochrome Xterm, yellow appears
> white, and read as black.  I thought the "background" declaration above
> specified the appearance on monochrome devices.  What am I missing?

Check section 2.5.2 and then 2.5.3.1 of the Uil manual. Note in 2.5.2 "COLOR
function" it says "The string expression names the color you want to define;
the optional keywords FOREGROUND and BACKGROUND identify how the color is to be
displayed on a monochrome device when the color is used in the definition of a
color table."

The color table section 2.5.3.1 explains that color tables are used to express
the colors for ICONS.

When you have any widget which is set to a color then displayed on a monochrome
monitor, the Toolkit figures out whether your color is more like black or white
and displays it accordingly. So that's independent of the BACKGROUND and
FOREGROUND specification.

Try putting up the test (tests/uil/widgets)BBoard.uil on your monochrome and
the icon and buttons should display this behavior (I'd try it too but all our
monochromes are busy today...)

Libby
Libby Hanna - Motif QA              Open Software Foundation
libby@osf.osf.org                   Cambridge, MA   (617) 621-8820
This is your brain. This is your brain with Traversal turned on.
Any questions?

asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) (11/02/90)

In article <9010312125.AA17868@osf.osf.org> libby@osf.ORG writes:
>When you have any widget which is set to a color then displayed on a monochrome
>monitor, the Toolkit figures out whether your color is more like black or white
>and displays it accordingly.

(A nit)  It's the server, actually, not the Toolkit (unless Motif has replaced
the default string to color converter with something a lot more sophisticated).

	-paul asente
		asente@adobe.com	...decwrl!adobe!asente

andreas@didymus.rmi.de (Andreas Fassl) (11/10/90)

In <7882@adobe.UUCP> asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) writes:

>In article <9010312125.AA17868@osf.osf.org> libby@osf.ORG writes:
>>When you have any widget which is set to a color then displayed on a monochrome
>>monitor, the Toolkit figures out whether your color is more like black or white
>>and displays it accordingly.

>(A nit)  It's the server, actually, not the Toolkit (unless Motif has replaced
>the default string to color converter with something a lot more sophisticated).

Hm, I thought that the color->b/w conversion is predefined in UIL via the
color command

F.E. :

value red : color('red',foreground); ! Will be used as foreground color on        crom

        blue : color ('blue',background);

With kind regards

Andreas Fassl