[comp.windows.x] X windows on SCO

jsantos@bubba.ma30.bull.com (Jim Santos) (11/02/90)

Hi,
	I have a couple of questions for all you X windows experts out
there - especially those of you who are unlucky enough to be running
it under SCO 3.2 (like me).

1) In the man page for Xsight, it says that you can give it the
argument '-logo' to cause it to use a screen saver that displays the X
window icon at various palces on the screen.  I do this by starting X
via the command 'startx -- X :0 -logo -p 5'.  It has no effect (it still
blanks to black).  But if I pass it a different argument, like '-save
12', that argument works.  If I give it 'startx -- X :0 -logo -p -v
off', it blanks out my application windows but not my root window and begins
drawing X logos over my root window!  Am I doing something wrong or is
there something wierd about the X server?  I realize this isn't a very
urgent question, but it has made me curious.

2) What does one need to do to use xdm under SCO?  No matter what I do, I
still get the regular login banner.  I read the man pages, I have the
configuration files in /usr/lib/X11/xdm and still zippo.  I'm sure its
something basic that I am doing wrong, but since I am kind of new to
this...

---------
Jim Santos
Bull Worldwide Information Systems
santos@granite.cr.bull.com

larryp@sco.COM (Larry Philps) (11/13/90)

In article <JSANTOS.90Nov1174145@bubba.ma30.bull.com> jsantos@bubba.ma30.bull.com (Jim Santos) writes:

>Hi,
>	I have a couple of questions for all you X windows experts out
>there - especially those of you who are unlucky enough to be running
>it under SCO 3.2 (like me).

Sigh -- what a negative attitude :-)

>1) In the man page for Xsight, it says that you can give it the
>argument '-logo' to cause it to use a screen saver that displays the X
>window icon at various palces on the screen.  I do this by starting X
>via the command 'startx -- X :0 -logo -p 5'.  It has no effect (it still
>blanks to black).  But if I pass it a different argument, like '-save
>12', that argument works.  If I give it 'startx -- X :0 -logo -p -v
>off', it blanks out my application windows but not my root window and begins
>drawing X logos over my root window!  Am I doing something wrong or is
>there something wierd about the X server?  I realize this isn't a very
>urgent question, but it has made me curious.

That manual page for Xsight states that -v defaults to on, and that this
option overrides the -logo and -p options.  Thus the correct syntax is

	startx -- X :0 -logo -p 5 -v off

This works for me under Xsight 2.2.0, I don't know about older versions.

>2) What does one need to do to use xdm under SCO?  No matter what I do, I
>still get the regular login banner.  I read the man pages, I have the
>configuration files in /usr/lib/X11/xdm and still zippo.  I'm sure its
>something basic that I am doing wrong, but since I am kind of new to
>this...

Did you disable the tty you were going to use for X?  I am running xdm
on tty01.  First I disabled logins on tty01 by running

	# disable tty01

My /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file contains

	#
	#	server options set by xdm
	#
	:0 local /usr/bin/X11/X :0 -analog -crt /dev/tty01

and xdm works fine for me.

---
Larry Philps,	 SCO Canada, Inc (Formerly: HCR Corporation)
Postman:  130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor, Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
InterNet: larryp@sco.COM  or larryp%scocan@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:	 {uunet,utcsri,sco}!scocan!larryp
Phone:	 (416) 922-1937
Fax:	 (416) 922-8397