[comp.windows.x] xps

greg@muddy.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) (09/09/88)

Has anyone gotten Xps correctly display the output of dvi2ps?  It seems to
be unable to handle the definefont operator.

						--Greg

emo@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (09/10/88)

If anyone does succeed in actually making use of xps for previewing
dvi format files that have been converted to PostScript with dvi*ps
please send some mail to "emo@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu".  I want to hear
about it... so far, it sure doesn't work for me.

eric

tim@introl.uucp (Tim Chase) (09/11/88)

In article <920@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> greg@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) writes:
>Has anyone gotten Xps correctly display the output of dvi2ps?  It seems to
>be unable to handle the definefont operator.
>
>						--Greg

I looked into it a bit and discovered that xps demands that various
arrays, etc. in a font have 256 elements.  Once the 128s and 127 in
the "/@newfont" definition were changed, xps gave some other error.
I believe at that point it didn't like the encoding of the fonts.
At that point I lost interest in finding out what was really wrong.
Hope this helps.

--
UUCP: {uunet,uwvax!uwmcsd1}!marque!introl!tim
Phone: +1 414 276-2937

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (12/12/88)

I've seen a couple of mentions of a PostScript previewer called "xps".  Is this
publicly available?  Does it run on Sun under 11R3?  Where can I get the
source?

Tom Crockett

Institute for Computer Applications in Science and Engineering
M.S. 132C, NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA  23665

e-mail:  tom@icase.edu		phone:   (804) 865-4097

margaret@ms.uky.edu (Margaret) (05/24/89)

Hello,
	Could anybody tell me the location of xps sources.
						Thanks,
						margaret

--
Malgorzata Marek Sturgill		ARPA:   margaret@ms.uky.edu
					UUCP:   {uunet,rutgers}!ukma!margaret

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (06/03/89)

I'm posting this for Debashis Bhattacharya (bhattach@cs.yale.edu).
Reply to him, not to me.

We obtained the 18-part sources, and the 3-part patches for xps
from uunet.uu.net. The patches were installed, and the program
compiled O. K. with or without the -O option. However, all sorts of
problems started at this point.

1. The behavior of the program is different depending on whether or
not the -O option was used. With the -O option, it runs into a "Bus
error".

2. The interpreter does not appear to understand all the postscript
statements generated by "dvi-alw". Specifically, it appears to run
into problems with bit-mapped fonts in dvi files obtained from TeX
or LaTeX sources.

3. The documentation about handling of fonts is rather scant, and
leaves one with the impression that the package can only handle
hershey fonts in its present form.  Furthermore, instructions
concerning installation of other fonts for use by xps are virtually
non-existent.

        I would appreciate any information/hint/helpful suggestion
that I can get. Please reply either to the address above, or to
bhattacharya@yale.arpa or to the newsgroup.

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (04/09/90)

Did someone manage to run the PostScript previewer xps successfully
under X11R4 on a Sun4? It compiles without an error but gives a bus
error when executed.

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663

stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (04/10/90)

In article <2088@laura.UUCP>, klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
(Rainer Klute) writes:
|> Did someone manage to run the PostScript previewer xps successfully
|> under X11R4 on a Sun4? It compiles without an error but gives a bus
|> error when executed.

Compile with

	CDEBUGFLAGS = -O1 -Dfloat=double

and make sure you use Sun's cc.

----
Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU
1957 Center St., Suite 600, Berkeley, CA 94704	(415) 642-4274 ext. 126

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (04/10/90)

Thanks for the many replies to my question about xps. It is running now.

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663

shari@wpi.WPI.EDU (Shari Deiana VanderSpek) (11/14/90)

Has anyone out there got xps working on a decstation 3100 running Ultrix 4.0
and X11R4?  Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

 Shari Deiana VanderSpek, College Computer Center, Fuller Laboratories
         Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA 01609
                           shari@wpi.wpi.edu