[comp.windows.x] How to use DECW$transport_tcpip?

andreas@didymus.rmi.de (Andreas Fassl) (11/02/90)

Hi,
under VMS 5.3.1 there is a so called third-party-scsi support.
I've found some new transports, but because of lack of documentation
about DECwindow transport, maybe someone has any idea, how to
access the new transport. The problem is to connect a SUN SPARCstation
to a VAXstation via ethernet under X Window System (DECwindows other side).

Any help or experience report would be fine.

With kind regards

Andreas Fassl

mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) (11/06/90)

#under VMS 5.3.1 there is a so called third-party-scsi support.

Actually, it's support for additional X transport protocols.  DEC added a TCPIP
module, and a LAT module.  SCSI (Small Computer System Interconnect) has very
little to do with DECwindows.

#I've found some new transports, but because of lack of documentation
#about DECwindow transport, maybe someone has any idea, how to
#access the new transport. The problem is to connect a SUN SPARCstation
#to a VAXstation via ethernet under X Window System (DECwindows other side).

Us the transport qualifier (/TRANSPORT) of SET DISPLAY when you wish to use an
alternate transport.  Specifically for TCPIP you would use SET
DISPLAY/TRANSPORT=TCPIP (etc).

This of course, assumes that you have a TCP/IP package running on your VMS
system.  Currently if you are running MultiNet, UCX, CMU/Tek, Fusion (I think)
or Wollongong you have X transport capability.  There will probably be more
details on how to use it in the documentation for your TCP/IP package.

The LAT transport is currently used by DEC's Xwindows terminals.

--
John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon    :    MCMAHON@TGV.COM    : TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TGV, Incorporated            :                       :    T   GGGGGGG  V     V

lcp@ibism.UUCP (Larry Poleshuck) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov2.152018.622@didymus.rmi.de>, andreas@didymus.rmi.de (Andreas Fassl) writes:
> Hi,
> under VMS 5.3.1 there is a so called third-party-scsi support.
> I've found some new transports, but because of lack of documentation
> about DECwindow transport, maybe someone has any idea, how to
> access the new transport. The problem is to connect a SUN SPARCstation
> to a VAXstation via ethernet under X Window System (DECwindows other side).
>
> Any help or experience report would be fine.
>
> With kind regards
>
> Andreas Fassl

We have been successful in running X between Sparcstation and Vaxstation(VMS).
We use the TCP/IP provided by the DEC product VAX/Ultrix Connection (UCX).
Once you have it up and running it's pretty easy to run applications on the
VAX with the command qualifiers /NODE=mySparcStation and /TRANSPORT=TCPIP.
Going the other way is even simpler.

I believe you can also accomplish this with Wollongong's TCPIP on the VAX
but we had trouble getting that combination working.

--

Larry Poleshuck
Citibank

Phone:  212-657-7709