[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows/X coexistence

jeffv@bisco.kodak.com (Jeff Van Epps) (11/13/90)

Warning: X novice at work.  If anyone else is already doing this kind of
thing and having success I'd appreciate instructions.

I'm on a Sun 3/80 running SunOS 4.1, MIT X11R4, and Motif.  I want to run
some of the OpenWindows 2.0 applications at the same time.  Mailtool
works, mostly, but cm (Calendar Manager) has some problems.  Upon startup
it says it can't open a couple of fonts; when I open (de-iconify) it I
get scads of "XView warning: not a pointer, xv_get" messages and the
day numbers which should be in the upper left hand corner of each day
box on the calendar are missing.

I do add the OpenWindows libraries to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

It looks like some kind of incompatible font problem, but I don't
understand how to go from the error message to some kind of corrective
action.

XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-90-
  *-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-*-90-
  *-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)

Do I need to find these fonts in the OpenWindows package and convert
them to X-understandable fonts?  How do I do that?

Help will cause gratitude.
--
If the From: line says nobody@kodak.com, don't believe it.

	Jeff Van Epps          jeffv@bisco.kodak.com
						   rochester!kodak!bisco!jeffv

jeffv@bisco.kodak.com (Jeff Van Epps) (11/15/90)

Thanks to these folks for their suggestions on using the fonts.alias file:

ltt900@moel1.kodak.COM        (Craig Willand)
susan.bickford@East.Sun.COM   (Susan Bickford)
stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU     (Andreas Stolcke)

I was also given instructions for converting fonts by susan.bickford,
but the simple alias works well enough for me.  Thanks gang!

--

root@fstc-chville.army.mil (Operator) (11/15/90)

jeffv@bisco.kodak.com (Jeff Van Epps) writes:
>I'm on a Sun 3/80 running SunOS 4.1, MIT X11R4, and Motif.  I want to run
>some of the OpenWindows 2.0 applications at the same time.  Mailtool
>works, mostly, but cm (Calendar Manager) has some problems.  Upon startup
>it says it can't open a couple of fonts;
>XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-90-
>XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-*-90-
>	Jeff Van Epps          jeffv@bisco.kodak.com

Jeff, if ya do a "xlsfonts" does lucida show up???

Is there a good rason you don't wanna install the xnews server instead of
the MIT X11R4???

Brian
boyter@fstc-chville.army.mil