[comp.windows.x] X for beginners

carlo@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Carlo Graziani) (11/03/90)

Hello.  I am an x-window idiot, who now confronts the necessity of
learning x-window basics.  Where is a good place to start?  I am
interested in books, magazine articles, etc.  Man pages need not apply.
please reply by e-mail to carlo@oddjob.uchicago.edu.

Thanks in advance.

noi@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Nittida Nuansri) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov2.200208.14931@midway.uchicago.edu>, carlo@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Carlo Graziani) writes:
> Hello.  I am an x-window idiot, who now confronts the necessity of
> learning x-window basics.  Where is a good place to start?  I am
> interested in books, magazine articles, etc.  Man pages need not apply.
> please reply by e-mail to carlo@oddjob.uchicago.edu.

I also need the reply of this question too, could  someone please post  it
into news group.

Thanks.

bernd@pfm.rmt.sub.org (Bernd Hennig) (11/11/90)

noi@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Nittida Nuansri) writes:

>In article <1990Nov2.200208.14931@midway.uchicago.edu>, carlo@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Carlo Graziani) writes:
>> Hello.  I am an x-window idiot, who now confronts the necessity of
>> learning x-window basics.  Where is a good place to start?  I am
>> interested in books, magazine articles, etc.  Man pages need not apply.
>> please reply by e-mail to carlo@oddjob.uchicago.edu.

Sorry, but I'm interesetd in this information, too. Can you send the
information to bernd@pfm.rmt.sub.org ?

Thanks

--
Bernd Hennig | Eibenweg 4| 6500 Mainz | 06131/362779 | bernd@pfm.rmt.sub.org

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/13/90)

I posted a bibliography of X material just a few days ago.  If you
missed it, you can FTP it from expo.lcs.mit.edu:/contrib/Xbibliography
or gatekeeper.dec.com:/archive/pub/X11/contrib/Xbibliography.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

merwin@agora.uucp (Ralph Merwin) (11/15/90)

The latest issue of UNIX World (Dec '90) reviews a book called

    "The X Window System: A User's Guide" by Niall Mansfield
    (Addision-Wesley)

The reviewer liked the book, saying it is the "print equivalent of an X
guru sitting at the next desk willing to answer any questions you might
have".

Ralph
Ralph Merwin - Merwin Software Services, Inc.     merwin@agora.hf.intel.com
6782 SW 162nd Drive, Beaverton, OR  97007         tektronix!tessi!agora!merwin
(503) 642-0256                                    72170.151@compuserve.com