[net.news] What next, banning net.general?

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (07/24/85)

What's going on here?????

First I log on yesterday and find these two messages cluttering
my overflowing mailbox.

> To: usenet
> Subject: creation of new newsgroup
>
> A new newsgroup called 'mod.general' has been created by cbosgd!mark.
>
> To: usenet
> Subject: creation of new newsgroup
>
> A new newsgroup called 'mod.newprod' has been created by cbosgd!mark.

Now today I see a message saying that net.general is gonna be
shut down and somebody from an ihxyz or some such place is
going to run mod.general.  I thought we were supposed to have
some discussion before acting.

Or maybe the power of being able to act without reprisal has
gone to mark's head ???  (1/2 :-))

(I'm referring to net.coke)

At any rate, the procedure for creating newsgroups is for there
to be discussion, right?  Where's the discussion been.  (Take
a look at the Path: on this article, notice that we're direct
neighbors to cbosgd, so it's highly unlikely that I'd miss
seeing any discussion that Mark would have posted on the subject).

Since I'm pushing for procedures to be followed ... I vote YES for
the proposed change of net.general to mod.general.  That is, contingent
on ALL nodes on the net being able to receive mod.general.  And, I
don't think they all will be able to receive it.  (Why, I remember
back in the old days ... about 4 months ago ... back when we were
running 2.10.1, we didn't receive hardly any of mod.all, but we
were REALLY in a backwater then, a leaf hanging off a leaf!  errrr..
the point is that not all people receive mod.anything).

--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"