[comp.windows.x] new athena widgets long overdue.

thoth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Gilligan) (11/19/90)

  Well, I think it's time someone cattleprodded those crazy people
working on R5 and any miscellaneous hackers working on stuff.

  Where the heck is our Athena filechooser widget!?  Why do motif,
Macintoshes, Interviews and Khoros have filechooser widgets and the
bloody athena toolkit just has a text widget with no filename
completion.  Almost turns me off.

  If noone has implemented one (I mean FileChooser{P.h,.h,.c}, not
some silly collection of code) I'll look into doing it (hmm, right
after the zbrowser, yeah).
  Ideally it would work like emacs.  Tab to complete, space similarly,
a list of filenames to click on with a scrollbar on one side (which
side?, flip a resource switch).  Maybe like a dialog with easily added
buttons.

  Has anyone got a Table widget (rows and columns)?  Does anyone have
a good idea how the programmer interface should look?
  Has anyone got a decent form widget.  I think Athena should look
into glue like Interviews has.

  Well, anyone willing to throw their code into the wind?  I saw a
drawingarea widget that has been sorely needed for a few YEARS!  Will
it be in R5?

  I realize Athena is supposed to be an EXAMPLE implementation, but
all the "real" ones are well out of the price range of an undergrad
($3.25 in coinage).

----- and now for something completely different.

  A form that recieves a resize request from a child will almost
certainly *uck it up.  If you want example code, I'll mail you a shar
and instructions.

*=m :) you were hoping for 'f' weren't you?
--
"Until it's on my desk, it's vaporware"  (`it' is the NeXT)
I hate 3/50 keyboards, I hate 3/80 keyboards, and PC keyboards are too loud.

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (11/20/90)

In article <THOTH.90Nov18145145@reef.cis.ufl.edu>,
thoth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Gilligan) writes:

>   Well, I think it's time someone cattleprodded those crazy people
> working on R5 and any miscellaneous hackers working on stuff.
>
>   Where the heck is our Athena filechooser widget!?  Why do motif,
> Macintoshes, Interviews and Khoros have filechooser widgets and the
> bloody athena toolkit just has a text widget with no filename
> completion.  Almost turns me off.
>
>   If noone has implemented one (I mean FileChooser{P.h,.h,.c}, not
> some silly collection of code) I'll look into doing it (hmm, right
> after the zbrowser, yeah).

	I have a FileSelector widget that I'll post in the near future.
	I have a set of interesting widgets (including a full featured
	PixelEditor widget and a program using it to edit bitmaps) that
	I was planning to release into the public.  Several people are using
	The FileSelector and PixelEditor widgets currently as beta testers.

	I was hoping to set up a kind of "Free Widget Foundation" where people
	could donate widgets into one central location.  My earlier
	suggestions about this only had lukewarm responses, so I put it on
	hold for a while -- but maybe it is time to think about it again.

	Please reply if you are interested in this "Free Widget Foundation"
	idea, and give any suggestions, so I can see what kind of enthusiasm
	there is out there.

							--- Bri

   /                      Brian Totty              o o
  /__  __  o       1304 W. Springfield Avenue       o
 /  / /   /             Urbana, IL 61801           \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /             totty@cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"