[comp.windows.x] X11R4 DEC5000 + Xterm

law@super.ORG (Jeff A Law) (10/18/90)

In article <1157@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> bauer@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Jeff Bauer) writes:
>Forgive the net bandwidth, but I did check the monthly "X questions"
>posting and past notes and didn't see an answer.
>
>Anybody out there developed or obtained the server code for a
>DECstation 5000/200 with a 2D accelerator?  The mfb and cfb code
>that comes with the standard MIT release appears to only be for
>the 3100 (the /usr/include/machine/* files are certainly not the
>same).
Nobody I know of...  But if someone has I'd be damn interested too.

On a different topic -- the Xterm from MIT seems to have a little
trouble with Ultrix -- when I use escape file completion the Dec
never backs up over the escape character..  Am I the *only* person
with this problem?!?

Jeff
--
1987: We set standards, not Them. Your standard windowing system is NeUWS.
1989: We set standards, not Them. You can have X, but the UI is OpenLock.

angel@flipper.miami.edu (angel li) (10/18/90)

|> On a different topic -- the Xterm from MIT seems to have a little
|> trouble with Ultrix -- when I use escape file completion the Dec
|> never backs up over the escape character..  Am I the *only* person
|> with this problem?!?

For some unknown reason csh sends a BACKSPACE character with the 8th
bit set.  If someone has a patch for this I would love to hear about
it.

--
Angel Li
University of Miami/RSMAS Remote Sensing Group

Internet: angel@flipper.miami.edu			UUCP: ncar!umigw!angel
"Every time you think it weakens the nation."

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (11/20/90)

In article <35389@super.ORG> law@super.ORG (Jeff A Law) writes:
>On a different topic -- the Xterm from MIT seems to have a little
>trouble with Ultrix -- when I use escape file completion the Dec
>never backs up over the escape character..  Am I the *only* person
>with this problem?!?

The enclosed patch seems to fix this problem.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

Article 3271 of comp.unix.ultrix:
From: dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x,comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: xterm and newcsh under Ultrix
Date: 21 May 90 18:13:36 GMT
Sender: news@OSF.ORG

Well, nobody sent me an actual solution to the problem I had with
Ultrix "newcsh" and R4 xterm, where the "escape" used to initiate
filename or command completion didn't get properly erased.  There
doesn't seem to be a way round it without programming, which is a
shame.  Thanks to those who did offer insights.

I put in the following somewhat simple fix:

*** VTPrsTbl.c.orig	Wed Mar  1 20:00:15 1989
--- VTPrsTbl.c	Fri Apr 20 19:47:06 1990
***************
*** 216,218 ****
  /*      0x88            0x89            0x8a            0x8b    */
! CASE_IGNORE,
  CASE_IGNORE,
--- 216,218 ----
  /*      0x88            0x89            0x8a            0x8b    */
! CASE_BS,
  CASE_IGNORE,

IMHO, an xterm user should be able to specify "strip to 7 bits on
input" just like a real terminal can.  This would be nearly as simple
to hack in, and I'll probably do it when I get time.  I don't offer
the above as an official fix!

(actually, it's arguable that, for completeness, xterm should offer
the 5 different combinations of parity: mark, space, odd, even, and
full 8-bit, with options to DTRT on input, but that's much less
important, and has the drawback of dragging the technology backwards...).
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks