[comp.windows.x] Athena Graphics Widget?

poladiag@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Grant Poladian) (11/18/90)

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is someway of using graphics (drawing and such)
through some Athena Widget?

Thanks
Grant.

Grant Poladian
poladiag@turing.cs.rpi.edu

turing@cs.rpi.edu

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/20/90)

In article <_=+^9J&@rpi.edu>, poladiag@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Grant Poladian) writes:
|> I'd like to know if there is someway of using graphics (drawing and such)
|> through some Athena Widget?

The "correct" way to do this is to subclass an existing widget and add
the graphics functionality you desire.  If no existing widget has any
functionality you can use, you can just subclass the core widget.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu (Joe English Muffin) (11/20/90)

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:

>In article <_=+^9J&@rpi.edu>, poladiag@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Grant Poladian) writes:
>|> I'd like to know if there is someway of using graphics (drawing and such)
>|> through some Athena Widget?

>The "correct" way to do this is to subclass an existing widget and add
>the graphics functionality you desire.  If no existing widget has any
>functionality you can use, you can just subclass the core widget.

You could also use a Grip.  The GripAction() callback is versatile
enough to let you create just about any kind of input semantics
you want.

It's kind of a hack, but it takes less than a tenth the
amount of code as writing a new widget would.

--Joe English

  jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu