[comp.windows.x] $1000

DAN@IBM.COM (11/17/90)

Hmm. $1000 for OPENLOOK (free) and $1000 for Motif (not free).

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/19/90)

In article <9011170339.AA15348@expo.lcs.mit.edu> DAN@IBM.COM writes:
>Hmm. $1000 for OPENLOOK (free) and $1000 for Motif (not free).

Ahem...

Do people still not understand? A quick education then.

Open Look - A "look & feel" specification by AT&T and Sun Microsystems
Motif - "A "look & feel" specification by Open Software Foundation

Xm - An X toolkit based on Xt that implements Motif.
Xt+(OLIT) - An X toolkit based on Xt that implements Open Look
XView - An X toolkit based on Xlib that implements Open Look
tnt - A NeWS toolkit that implements Open Look.

OpenWindows - A *window system* that merges the X and NeWS protocols. Includes
              things like Open Fonts, and the OLIT, XView and tnt toolkits.

Now, if you want Open Look get it for free from expo in the form of XView, one
of you IBM guys figured out how to do that and even ported it to your RS/6000
machines. If you want Motif send $1000 to OSF for source.

Please do not confuse OpenWindows with Open Look. They have absolutely nothing
in common.

Peter

jimf@SABER.COM (11/19/90)

|If you want Motif send $1000 to OSF for source.

There may also be other licensing considerations depending on what
exactly you intend to do with Motif.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/20/90)

Uh, I think the article from "DAN@IBM.COM" was a forgery.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

erik@gogoman.sf.ca.us (Erik Fortune) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov18.172949.4547@mcs.anl.gov> korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:
>In article <9011170339.AA15348@expo.lcs.mit.edu> DAN@IBM.COM writes:
>>Hmm. $1000 for OPENLOOK (free) and $1000 for Motif (not free).
>
>Ahem...
>
>Do people still not understand? A quick education then.

   :
   Lots of absolutely true stuff about OpenWindows and Open Look.
   :
>Please do not confuse OpenWindows with Open Look. They have absolutely nothing
>in common.
>
>Peter

I don't think that Dan was confusing OpenWindows and Open Look.   Dan's
point (as I read it) was this:

When the OSF sells thing "A" (in this case Motif) for $1000, loads of
people scream bloody murder and complain about the evil OSF cartel trying
to squeeze the last penny out of everyone's pocket.

When Sun "gives away" thing "B" (in this case OpenWindows) for $1000,
everybody sings the praises of kind and generous Sun who so benevolently
donated thing "B" to the world.

If the $1000 is *really* a media charge, Sun should make the source
to OpenWindows available via anonymous ftp (or at least allow someone
else to do so).    If Sun can't or won't do this, then the "media charge"
is pure PR hogwash.

Cheers,
    Erik

Yin-Cheng.Tsai@tigris.edrc.cmu.EDU (11/21/90)

Would people from Sun speak out to defend yourselves?  It sounds you
guys accept the rumors spreading around regarding the GOLDEN tape(s).
What a shame!

I don't like to work on something which is QUIET!

Also, shame on those people who make up their stories based upon their
imagination.  You shouldn't present your opinion just because you think
so.  This is a free country but don't abuse your right.

Y. C. Tsai  yt@cs.cmu.edu

P.S.  I don't have any access to ...openlook.