[comp.windows.x] Sunview File-Manager like tool for XView?

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (11/17/90)

This is probably a dumb, basic question, but please enlighten me.  I would
like to use a tool similar to Sunview's (?) File Manager in an XView
application.  Is the source for such a program available?

I want to be able to traverse a directory tree, select (floating point) images
within directories for processing by clicking on them, etc.

Also, is there a good source of public (already developed) domain xview based
tools somewhere?  (For things like building command lines to programs and shell
scripts, etc)

Rick Fanta 	PAR Technologies

"... She said that she was working for the ABC news,
     it was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use ..."
	- Elvis Costello

cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) (11/21/90)

In article <909@adiron.UUCP> richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) writes:
>This is probably a dumb, basic question, but please enlighten me.  I would
>like to use a tool similar to Sunview's (?) File Manager in an XView
>application.  Is the source for such a program available?

File Manager (the application) *is* written with XView. If you need to get
information from File Manager into an application of yours, you can use
drag-n-drop; that's what File Manager is for.

Is the source available? yup. Not quite for free, though; you have to get an
Openwindows source license.

	-Doug

Doug Cook			       |"Like a breakfast at the egg-house,
Video Group, Advanced Systems Division | a waffle on the griddle,
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		       | I'm burnt around the edges,
Mountain View, CA		       | but I'm tender in the middle."

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.231521.9736@odin.corp.sgi.com> cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) writes:
>Is the source [ for File Manager] available? yup. Not quite for free,
> though; you have to get an Openwindows source license.

Wrong. The $995 Source License does not include File Manager, dbxtool,
mailtool, cm, binder, tapetool, printtool.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

eckert@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (11/23/90)

From article <BARNETT.90Nov21145957@grymoire.crd.ge.com>, by barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett):
> In article <1990Nov20.231521.9736@odin.corp.sgi.com> cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) writes:
>>Is the source [ for File Manager] available? yup. Not quite for free,
>> though; you have to get an Openwindows source license.
>
> Wrong. The $995 Source License does not include File Manager, dbxtool,
> mailtool, cm, binder, tapetool, printtool.

The source license doesn't seem to contain anything that you need to really
"use" OpenWindows. Maybe sun only hopes that it contains enough so
that it will drag you away from motif, but it seemed never been intended
that OpenLook runs in a useful environment on anything else but Sun
machines.

Seems as if my favour for NeWS wears of with this "neither free nor open"
attitude of Sun. What a pity. A predict that they won't get the NFS effect
with OW anymore.

--

Toerless Eckert          | /C=de/A=dbp/P=uni-erlangen/OU=informatik/S=eckert
V.4: Noah's ark of Unix  | X.400 ^ Internet> eckert@informatik.uni-erlangen.de