[comp.windows.x] PropertyNotify events

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (12/15/88)

We're building a system that uses window properties for a "blackboard"
type of inter-process communication.  A group of clients use the same
windows and listen for PropertyNotify events on these windows.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to get PropertyNotify
events when only the properties you're interested in change.  Thus, all
our clients (and often the window manager) get swapped in to process
the PropertyNotify when any property changes, even though most are not
interested.  This noticably affects performance.  Has anyone else had
this problem?  Is there any way to work around it?  Thanks much!

Ken Lee
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.
--
uucp:  uunet!daisy!klee		arpanet:  daisy!klee@uunet.uu.net

"DC6 which is being used for Contra weapons supply runs out of New Orleans is
probably being used for drug runs into U.S." - Oliver North, August, 1985

jacobi.pa@XEROX.COM (12/16/88)

    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to get
    PropertyNotify events when only the properties you're
    interested in change.  Thus, all our clients get swapped
    in to process the PropertyNotify when any property
    changes, even though most are not interested

You might try to introduce extra windows (unmapped ?)
instead (or in addition) to different atoms.

Christian Jacobi

garya@stan.com (Gary Aitken) (12/20/88)

In article <2133@daisy.UUCP>, klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) writes:
> ... our clients (and often the window manager) get swapped in to process
> the PropertyNotify when any property changes, even though most are not
> interested....
> Is there any way to work around it?

One possible way around would be to have a single client serve as a
"property daemon", and send a ClientMessage event to the proper client.
The property daemon would be the only client selecting on property notify
(other than possibly the wm).

This would require that you establish some convention for informing the
property daemon of the client to be notified.

gjw@ANDREAS.WR.USGS.GOV (Gregory J. Woodhouse) (11/22/90)

Do they propogate?  What I'm wondering is: if I define a property on the
rootwindow, will its children receive an event (presumably not)?  Is it
possible/desirable to arrange for this to happen?  What's the preferred
method of notifying the application with the child window as its base
that a new property has been defined on the root window?
Gregory Woodhouse          |We know that the center of the earth
gjw@andreas.wr.usgs.gov    |is a fiery molten mass...but it's not
(415) 329-4694 (office)    |good to dwell on it.
(415) 325-7802 (home)      |
U.S. Geological Survey / 345 Middlefield Rd. MS 977 / Menlo Park, CA 94025

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (11/23/90)

> Subject: PropertyNotify events
> Do they propogate?  What I'm wondering is: if I define a property on
> the rootwindow, will its children receive an event (presumably not)?

I believe not.  I haven't looked at the relevant documents to check
this, though, because for what you want it doesn't matter.

> Is it possible/desirable to arrange for this to happen?  What's the
> preferred method of notifying the application with the child window
> as its base that a new property has been defined on the root window?

Simply have the application select for PropertyNotify events on the
root window, for example with something like

	XSelectInput(disp,rootwin,PropertyChangeMask);

What's the problem?

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu