[comp.windows.x] X on HP 400 series, multiple screens?>

matt@bacchus.esa.oz (Matthew Atterbury) (10/31/90)

Does anyone know the answer to any of the following?

    does X run on the HP400 series workstations?

    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
    independently addressible?, etc)

    does anyone know if the X server for the HP 400 series does/can/could
    support multiple screens (driven by the one mouse + keyboard)?

Many thanks ...
Matt Atterbury [matt@bacchus.esa.oz.au]   Expert Solutions Australia, Melbourne
UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!matt@bacchus.esa.oz.au            "klaatu barada nikto"
ARPA: matt%bacchus.esa.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET  "life? don't talk to me about life!"

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) (11/02/90)

In article <812@bacchus.esa.oz> matt@bacchus.esa.oz (Matt Atterbury) writes:
>Does anyone know the answer to any of the following?

>    does X run on the HP400 series workstations?

Yes, it does.

>    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
>    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
>    independently addressible?, etc)

The 400t has no extra slots, but I think the 400s has two or three extra
DIO-II slots, and could take one of the addressable 98550 cards, or perhaps
an interface for a graphics engine.  We only have 400t machines, so I can't
say for sure.

mjb.

"With styling to cow the meanest 'street fighter', the Trans-Am Vitesse was an
attempt at a full-blooded racer for Triumph's mid-range saloons.  It was not a
major success."
                                                 mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (11/02/90)

See my response in comp.sys.hp

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

paul@eye.com (Paul B. Booth) (11/03/90)

>>    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
>>    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
>>    independently addressible?, etc)

Any of the deskside 400's (and most 300's) will support multiple graphics
heads; you just put the interface card into any available DIOII slot.
We've done several combinations of 98731's, 05's, and 36's on a 433.
It's not a perfect setup though.  There's still only one hil loop
(i.e., 1 keyboard) per cpu, so only 1 graphics head can be used interactively,
say, for running X.  Other heads on the system can only be used as graphics
output devices.   If you want to support multiple "X-stations" on a single HP
cpu, you'll have to go w/ s800 machines.  The 825/835 machines will support
1-4 displays, each w/ its own hil loop.

--
Paul B. Booth  (paul@eye.com) (...!hplabs!hpfcla!eye!paul)
3D/EYE, Inc., 2359 N. Triphammer Rd., Ithaca, NY  14850    voice: (607)257-1381

darryl@hpuorfa.HP.COM (Darryl J. Coppenhaver) (11/17/90)

Posti#! rnews 1696
From: darryl@hpuorfa.HP.COM (Darryl J. Coppenhaver)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 1990 20:26:44 GMT
Subject: Re: X on HP 400 series, multiple screens?>
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x

  I will do my best to address the questions........

>>Does anyone know the answer to any of the following?
>>
>>    does X run on the HP400 series workstations?

	YES!!!!!!!

>>    can any HP400 series w/s work with 2 or more screens (is it physically
>>    possible to put more than one graphics card in the box? are the cards
>>    independently addressible?, etc)

	Yes! you can have multiple graphics cards in the 400s (the 400t does
	not have an open slot).

>>    does anyone know if the X server for the HP 400 series does/can/could
>>    support multiple screens (driven by the one mouse + keyboard)?

	The HP-UX X11 server will support multiple screens (4 I think) all
	controlled with one keyboard and mouse. You address the screens in the
	following manner:
		hostname:0.0	-- screen 0 running on

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (11/24/90)

> It's not a perfect setup though.  There's still only one hil loop
> (i.e., 1 keyboard) per cpu, so only 1 graphics head can be used interactively,
> say, for running X.

Again, while there's only one HIL loop, it can support multiple keyboards
and mice.  Then using the Xndevices file, you can assign which keyboard/mouse
gets assigned to what server.

You can actually support three independent X stations using this supported
scheme.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com