[comp.windows.x] The real OpenWindows source announcement

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/15/90)

SunFLASH Vol 23 #12					       November 1990

           Package Includes Window System and Toolkits

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- November 13, 1990 -- Sun Microsystems
announced today that the source code for its OpenWindows(TM)
application development environment will now be available free of
charge (cost of media only -- $995).  This means that hardware and
software developers will now have a cost-effective way to incorporate
OpenWindows -- including the easy-to-use OPEN LOOK(R) graphical user
interface -- into applications developed or ported to many platforms
from different vendors.

The package includes code for the X11/NeWs(TM) Window System, OPEN LOOK
toolkits, and OpenFonts(TM) with its TypeScaler(TM) technology.  Before
today, only OpenWindows binaries were available from Sun.

"Offering free source code for the industry's most advanced,
comprehensive window environment demonstrates our ongoing commitment to
open systems," said Ed Zander, vice president of marketing at Sun.

                     Advanced Imaging Model

The X11/NeWS Window System that is part of the source package combines
a fully compliant X implementation with Sun's NeWS(R) technology, which
offers the most advanced PostScript(R) imaging model available today.
NeWS lets developers work with interactive, on-screen PostScript
graphics -- particularly useful for commercial applications such as
desktop publishing and multimedia.

Also part of the source code package is OpenFonts -- Sun's
nonproprietary font technology, which includes 57 scalable fonts.

             OPEN LOOK Toolkits Provide Portability

The keys to OpenWindows' portability are two OPEN LOOK toolkits,
XView(TM) and the OPEN LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit (OLIT). XView is Sun's
X-based toolkit that gives developers an easy way to design new
applications with the OPEN LOOK graphical user interface, as well as to
migrate the 2,800 existing kernel-based SunView(TM) applications to the
networked window environment of OPEN LOOK and X.

The OLIT toolkit -- based on AT&T's OPEN LOOK toolkit (XT+) --
implements the OPEN LOOK look and feel and supports MIT Intrinsics.
The XView toolkit is also offered free on the X11 R4 tape available
from MIT. OpenWindows is a standard part of the industry's leading
UNIX(R) operating system, UNIX System V Release 4 from AT&T.

Since OPEN LOOK toolkits will be available for a range of platforms,
developers can standardize on a single graphical interface.  Toolkits
from Sun and other vendors are available now or will be offered within
three months for UNIX workstations from Digital Equipment Corp.,
Hewlett-Packard and IBM, for VAX/VMS systems from Digital.

                          Availability

OpenWindows source code will be available January 1, 1991 on magnetic
tape for $995 (which includes the cost of media and documentation)
through Sun distributors.  The source license is included at no cost.
There are no royalties for distributing applications developed with
OpenWindows.  Hardware vendors will pay nominal royalties for systems
they resell that run the OpenWindows environment.

Sun Microsystems, Inc., headquartered in Mountain View, Calif., is a
leading worldwide supplier of network-based distributed computing
systems, including professional workstations, servers and UNIX
operating system and productivity software.

###

OpenWindows, XView, X11/NeWS, OpenFonts and TypeScaler are trademarks
and NeWS is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. OPEN LOOK
and UNIX are registered trademarks of UNIX System Laboratories, Inc.
PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems, Inc. All other
products or services mentioned in this document are identified by the
trademarks or service marks of their respective companies or
organizations.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Cathleen Beall Garfield  (415) 336-6536
Diana Murray OpenWindows Licensing Manager (415) 336-1567

ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric A. Anderson) (11/16/90)

>will now be available free of charge (cost of media only -- $995).

Does this mean that they will be making it available on the net?
Becuase then the cost of media should be $0.

Thanks in advance,
          -Eric
"My life is full of additional complications spinning around until
 it makes my head snap off."
           -Unc. Known.
"You are very smart, now shut up."
           -In "The Princess Bride"

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (wolf paul) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.144507.22915@mcs.anl.gov> korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:

>SunFLASH Vol 23 #12					       November 1990
>MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- November 13, 1990 -- Sun Microsystems
>announced today that the source code for its OpenWindows(TM)
>application development environment will now be available free of
>charge (cost of media only -- $995).

Will Sun permit the redistribution of this source code via the usual
USENET channels, i.e. anon-ftp, anon-uucp, and archive servers?

What media does this come on that cost nearly $1000?

Note that I am not griping, just asking questions. I think it is
great of Sun to make this available, even at $1000.
--
Wolf N. Paul, UNIX SysAdmin, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa!wnp

mouse@LIGHTNING.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (11/16/90)

> MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- November 13, 1990 -- Sun Microsystems
> announced today that the source code for its OpenWindows(TM)
> application development environment will now be available free of
> charge (cost of media only -- $995).

A thousand dollars for media?  What's it on, gold tape?

> OpenWindows source code will be available January 1, 1991 on magnetic
> tape for $995 (which includes the cost of media and documentation)

Ah, a doc set too.  That's more reasonable.

> through Sun distributors.  The source license is included at no cost.

I'm impressed.  (I'd be more impressed if they'd put it up for
anonymous ftp, but this is still a significant move.)

> There are no royalties for distributing applications developed with
> OpenWindows.  Hardware vendors will pay nominal royalties for systems
> they resell that run the OpenWindows environment.

Hmmm, this sounds ominous.  Could someone (someone from Sun, say) post
the text of the license?  I've been assuming that if the source is
supposedly available free, it is also freely redistributable.  If this
is not true, I'll have to revise my opinion, but I don't want to jump
to conclusions.  (Calling it "free" but charging money and restricting
redistribution would be an impressive piece of doublespeak.  I hope my
trepidation is baseless....)

> FOR MORE INFORMATION:
> Cathleen Beall Garfield  (415) 336-6536
> Diana Murray OpenWindows Licensing Manager (415) 336-1567

Hey, Sun, email addresses would have been nice...I wouldn't've had to
bother the whole net with this then; I could've asked directly...or did
the person who transcribed this miss them?  (Seems doubtful.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

fullmer@alfalfa.sps.mot.com (Glen Fullmer) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.144507.22915@mcs.anl.gov> korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:

   MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- November 13, 1990 -- Sun Microsystems
   announced today that the source code for its OpenWindows(TM)
   application development environment will now be available free of
   charge (cost of media only -- $995).  This means that hardware and
                                 ^^^^^

Expensive media!  Ok, I understand -- its the pay that Sun gives its
tape operators! ;-)

--
 ___    _  "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence"
{__/   //  "over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."

lcp@ibism.UUCP (Larry Poleshuck) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.144507.22915@mcs.anl.gov>, korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:

> MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- November 13, 1990 -- Sun Microsystems
> announced today that the source code for its OpenWindows(TM)
> application development environment will now be available free of
> charge (cost of media only -- $995).  This means that hardware and

What media are you using -- gold-plated clay tablets?

--

Larry Poleshuck
Citibank

Phone:  212-657-7709
Fax:    212-657-0068
E-Mail: uunet!ibism!lcp

lewine@cheshirecat.webo.dg.com (Donald Lewine) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov15.144507.22915@mcs.anl.gov>, korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:
|> free of
|> charge (cost of media only -- $995).

Yes, Lotus 1-2-3 is FREE also when you pay $495 for the media.  If
this media costs SUN $995 I would like to talk to them about
selling them blank tapes.

Donald A. Lewine                (508) 870-9008 Voice
Data General Corporation        (508) 366-0750 FAX
4400 Computer Drive. MS D112A
Westboro, MA 01580  U.S.A.

uucp: uunet!dg!lewine   Internet: lewine@cheshirecat.webo.dg.com

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (11/17/90)

    application development environment will now be available free of
    charge (cost of media only -- $995).

When OpenWindows 1.0 (binary FCS) was released it also just had a
media charge, but it was only $295.

The irony here is that this $995 media cost is just $5 less than a
Motif source ***license***.  To be fair, there are no royalties owed
to Sun for any derivative binaries, whereas Motif binaries are subject
to a royalty payment.  Source-licensed universities can distribute
Motif binaries in-house for free, all others pay based on a sliding
quantity scale (from $40 quantity one, down to $10 for the quantities
a hardware vendor ships).

No flames please.  I'm just pointing out that Sun('s pot) can't really
call the OSF kettle black.

-Ittai

PS: This analysis doesn't apply to those of you who want NeWS,
    however.

jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk (Patrick Gosling) (11/18/90)

In article <1154@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!lewine writes:
>|> free of
>|> charge (cost of media only -- $995).
>
>If this media costs SUN $995 I would like to talk to them about
>selling them blank tapes.

Just to be fair to sun, I gather that what you get for your $995 includes a
fairly large stack of documentation.  Take the price that GNU (sorry, the
FSF) (for example) charge for media ($150 per tape isn't it?), and the kind
of price you pay for books nowadays, and it don't seem _too_ bad.

just my 2p's worth ...
share+enjoy,

Patrick

--
Patrick Gosling,                                         jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
Cambridge Univ. Engineering Dept., UK.

mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) (11/18/90)

Let's not forget DOCUMENTATION!  It probably weighs more than a
SPARCStation.  Most likely the reason for the $995.

mleisher@nmsu.edu                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]

dbrooks@penge.osf.org (David Brooks) (11/18/90)

In article <7247@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU> ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) writes:
>To be fair, there are no royalties owed
>to Sun for any derivative binaries, whereas Motif binaries are subject
>to a royalty payment.

No; this is from the Sun annoucement:

   There are no royalties for distributing applications developed with
   OpenWindows.  Hardware vendors will pay nominal royalties for systems
   they resell that run the OpenWindows environment.

This doesn't explicitly cover software operations that resell binaries
with added value, but the above two cases are the same for Motif.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll) (11/19/90)

In article <17545@rasp.eng.cam.ac.uk>, jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk (Patrick Gosling) writes:

> >If this media costs SUN $995 I would like to talk to them about
> >selling them blank tapes.
>
> Just to be fair to sun, I gather that what you get for your $995 includes a
> fairly large stack of documentation.  Take the price that GNU (sorry, the
> FSF) (for example) charge for media ($150 per tape isn't it?), and the kind
> of price you pay for books nowadays, and it don't seem _too_ bad.

Isn't it $150 for all of the GNU stuff, not per tape? And if you need $850
worth of books to use OpenWindows, I'm not going anywhere near it.
Also, my impression is that the FSF deliberately sets the price of their
tapes high to discourage people from actually ordering them, instead of
getting the stuff off the net or from a friend. How many people do you know
that run Emacs and actually paid for a GNU tape? If Sun doesn't allow the
source to be put on an anon-FTP site, then there's no comparison to GNU
source, regardless of the the FSF charges per tape.
--
Alan M. Carroll                Barbara/Marilyn in '92 :
Epoch Development Team          + This time, why not choose the better halves?

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/19/90)

In article <16263@paperboy.OSF.ORG> dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>In article <7247@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU> ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) writes:
>>To be fair, there are no royalties owed
>>to Sun for any derivative binaries, whereas Motif binaries are subject
>>to a royalty payment.
>
>No; this is from the Sun annoucement:
>
>   There are no royalties for distributing applications developed with
>   OpenWindows.  Hardware vendors will pay nominal royalties for systems
>   they resell that run the OpenWindows environment.
>
>This doesn't explicitly cover software operations that resell binaries
>with added value, but the above two cases are the same for Motif.

Yes this is true for Motif, but if we talk Open Look and Motif only then
this is somewhat misleading. Open Look, in the form of the XView toolkit
is free to all, no strings attached.

Now if you were just comparing OpenWindows with Motif I agree the policy seems
to be very similar. But if you do this comparison then you are comparing
apples to oranges.

>--
>David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
>Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks
>"No, I didn't say I wanted a Bud light!!!" -- Oedipus

Peter

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/19/90)

>> >If this media costs SUN $995 I would like to talk to them about
>> >selling them blank tapes.
>>
>> Just to be fair to sun, I gather that what you get for your $995 includes a
>> fairly large stack of documentation.  Take the price that GNU (sorry, the
>> FSF) (for example) charge for media ($150 per tape isn't it?), and the kind
>> of price you pay for books nowadays, and it don't seem _too_ bad.

Since the announcement I have heard all the talk of the mysterious $995 *media*
charge. They do seem to use gold tape no?

Well it seems there is an answer to all this. In attempting to make OpenWindows
freely available Sun had to negotiate with AT&T. Apparently some AT&T code
exists in OW 2.0 or own some rights to it. Therefore, the best deal(?) Sun
could come up with was to charge a rather large one time fee for docs and media
yet allow you to copy source freely. The costs for redistributing binaries of
OpenWindows with systems is also basiclly to cover the royalties to AT&T for
each copy. An interesting side effect is that if you port OpenWindows to a
non-UNIX platform then no royalties must be paid.

So it is not as great a deal as we all wish it would have been, but I think
Sun has got the right intentions. Let us hope that OpenWindows version 3 will
be kept clear of all of these licensing issues.

As a side note, since the announcement by Sun I have found at least 3 vendors
whose engineering groups are claiming to be ready to ship X11/NeWS servers with
their hardware/UNIX.

1) Everex - PC maker and ESIX makers will ship X11/NeWS with release 4 of ESIX
            this will be sometime Q1-91.

2) Commodore - Makers of the Amiga and also V.4 on Amigas, says that once the
               current implementation of X11R4 is up, they will concentrate on
               porting X11/NeWS to their system. Timeframe, probably Q2-91

3) UHX - Makers of some techinally cool hardware, i860/486 machines claims to
         be shipping X11/NeWS as part of their V.4 package.

This seems to be a good start for OpenWindows.

Peter

bob@odi.COM (Bob Miner) (11/19/90)

     Peter Korp <korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov> writes:
     > In attempting to make OpenWindows
     > freely available Sun had to negotiate with AT&T. Apparently some
     > AT&T code exists in OW 2.0 or own some rights to it. Therefore,
     > the best deal(?) Sun could come up with was to charge a rather
     > large one time fee

     Yup, that sounds right, it has the smell of the dead hand of AT+T's
     lawyers all over it. (calm down Tim ...)

     The code in question must be the OLIT widget set, AT+T have been
     selling source licences for $1000 for some while (we have one), like motif.

It sure would be nice if Solbourne would take a similar approach with
their OI toolkit and drop the price of source from $10,000 (last I knew)
to something reasonable like $1000.  Perhaps this will spur them on.

Bob Miner

Object Design, Inc.                       ~      OOOOOO
1 New England Executive Park              ~   OOOO    OOOO
Burlington, MA 01803  USA                 ~  OOOOO    OOOOO
bob@odi.com  -or-  uunet!odi!bob          ~   OOOO    OOOO
voice: (617) 270-9797 FAX: (617) 270-3509 ~      OOOOOO    bject Design Inc.
   "From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere."
								- Dr. Seuss

fgreco@dprg-330.GOVt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (11/19/90)

>Yes, Lotus 1-2-3 is FREE also when you pay $495 for the media.  If
>this media costs SUN $995 I would like to talk to them about
>selling them blank tapes.

The $995 includes *all* the docs and the media costs which include:
X/NeWS manuals, NeWS 2.1 manuals, Xt Intrinsics manuals, OLIT docs,
the two Addison Wesley OPEN LOOK books, the "red" and "blue" Adobe
Postscript books, 3 O'Reilly Books (Vols 1, 2 and 7), and the tape.
Of course in this price, there is an embedded cost of duplication,
ie,  paying people to handle the duplication process, paying people
to box this stuff, paying people to handle shipping these things out and
tracking them, and support (for binary *and now* source) costs.

Quite frankly (and of course I'm "frank" with everyone ;-),
a one-time cost $995 for an entire (non-reseller) installation
is certainly inexpensive.

I was told that educational institutions will get it at standard
academic pricing, ie, cheaper.

Perhaps Economics 101 is in order?  I heard they talk about "widgets" too ;->

Frank G.

If you happened to be at the NeWS BOF at Unix Expo in NYC, you
could have obtained all this for free.  Sun donated about 100
sets of the docs and "expensive" media to Open Vistas.
..talk about a feeding frenzy!

mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (11/20/90)

In article <12086@ibism.uucp> lcp@ibism.UUCP (Larry Poleshuck) writes:
   In article <1990Nov15.144507.22915@mcs.anl.gov>, korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:
   > charge (cost of media only -- $995).  This means that hardware and

   What media are you using -- gold-plated clay tablets?

The same stuff BSD ships their distribution on?

I don't know what's in the distribution, but if you assume that it's
about the same size as X11, then you've got 4 tapes worth of stuff.
Assuming you get a full set of documentation, you're getting about the
same set of stuff that BSD ships in their distribution. And all they
charge you is "media" charges. Last time I looked, CSRG wanted $700
for a BSD tape set. Given that CSRG was using student labor to copy
tapes, they should be noticably cheaper.

The price is very high for "free" software; especially if you're used
to microcomputer software prices. For workstation software, that's not
a high price. And it's in line with other "free" unix distributions of
similar size.

	<mike
--

xpert@HYDRO.SAIC.COM (xpert_news) (11/20/90)

Would you please post or email the address/phone no of UHX
(the makers of an i860/486 machine)

Thanks much in advance.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/20/90)

>>If this media costs SUN $995 I would like to talk to them about
>>selling them blank tapes.
>
>Just to be fair to sun, I gather that what you get for your $995 includes a
>fairly large stack of documentation.  Take the price that GNU (sorry, the
>FSF) (for example) charge for media ($150 per tape isn't it?), and the kind
>of price you pay for books nowadays, and it don't seem _too_ bad.
>
>just my 2p's worth ...
>share+enjoy,

Yeah, but if you have net access, you can get it for FREE via ftp from many
sites.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/20/90)

In article <9011191901.AA03932@hydro.Saic.COM> xpert@HYDRO.SAIC.COM (xpert_news) writes:
>Would you please post or email the address/phone no of UHX
>(the makers of an i860/486 machine)
>
>Thanks much in advance.

The correct name of the company is UHC, I think i misposted. they can
be reached at

UHC
3600 S. Gessner
Houston, Texas 77063
Voice: (713)782-2700
FAX: (713)782-3377

They will probably refer you to a local distributer

Peter

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (11/20/90)

In article <9011161043.AA13336@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> mouse@LIGHTNING.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU writes:

   > through Sun distributors.  The source license is included at no cost.

Seem more like you can buy a source license for $1000 and they throw
in the doc set.  If the source license is free, I can presumably copy
someone else's release, and write to Sun for a (free) source license?

Anyone know?

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

elvis@EE.MsState.Edu (presley) (11/20/90)

I suggest that you all read the post on comp.windows.openlook for the
official sun explanation on the media charge.

--
Appearing again:
-John West-                        elvis@athena.erc.msstate.edu

mouse@LIGHTNING.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (11/20/90)

> Well it seems there is an answer to all this. In attempting to make
> OpenWindows freely available Sun had to negotiate with AT&T.
> Apparently some AT&T code exists in OW 2.0 or own some rights to it.
> Therefore, the best deal(?) Sun could come up with was to charge a
> rather large one time fee for docs and media yet allow you to copy
> source freely.

It's not free if you can't give it away to the world.  That's why I
suspect the label "free" is doublespeak: letting the source out free
but charging for binary redistribution is a little unlikely.

So, you want me to believe the source is free, you put it up for
anonymous ftp.  Until then, I will continue to maintain that it's not
free and that calling it so is doublespeak at best, misleading
advertising (which incidentally is actionable, I think) at worst.

> So it is not as great a deal as we all wish it would have been, but I
> think Sun has got the right intentions.  Let us hope that OpenWindows
> version 3 will be kept clear of all of these licensing issues.

I don't want to give the idea that I think Sun shouldn't be offering
this $1000 source-tape-plus-doc-set.  What I take exception to is their
calling it free when (if) it's not.

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (11/20/90)

>>> charge (cost of media only -- $995).
>> What media are you using -- gold-plated clay tablets?
> The same stuff BSD ships their distribution on?

> [...assuming a couple of reasonable things...], you're getting about
> the same set of stuff that BSD ships in their distribution.  And all
> they charge you is "media" charges.  Last time I looked, CSRG wanted
> $700 for a BSD tape set.  Given that CSRG was using student labor to
> copy tapes, they should be noticably cheaper.

Last time I looked, nobody was hyping BSD as free, either.

If you have a V7 or later source license, then as of last time I
looked, you can get your BSD tape from anybody who has one and nobody
will care.  (Berkeley would probably be happier that way because then
they don't have to grind through writing another tape, even.)

The comparison is thus invalid: BSD isn't selling AT&T licenses, and if
you have the relevant license, BSD *is* free.  Sun, on the other hand,
*is* selling you whatever license(s) is(are) involved, and recent
postings give me the impression that Sun is the only place you can buy
such a license.  Not at all comparable.

rhaar@rcsrlh.GMR.COM (Bob Haar CS50) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov20.004706.17609@sj.ate.slb.com>,
poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

|> Yeah, but if you have net access, you can get it for FREE via ftp from many
|> sites.
                                                        ^^^^^

WRONG! You may not pay for it, but someone does. Net transfers are
not free. There is not unlimited bandwidth on the networks. Also,
there are certainly legal problems with making copyrighted documentation
available for electronic copying.

	Bob Haar   CSNET: HAAR@GMR.COM  UUCP: uunet!edsews!rphroy!rcsrlh!rhaar
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (11/21/90)

Grumpf...  Can we take this discussion off of comp.windows.x to
somewhere more reasonable?  If comp.windows.open-look or comp.windows.news
isn't sufficient, how about alt.flame?

This entire discussion has ZERO technical content.  And even the
non-technical points seems to have now been made, and people are now
arguing about the definition of words like "free".  (or maybe we should
trot out a duck around now... :-))
				- Jim

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (11/23/90)

carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll) writes:
>And if you need $850
>worth of books to use OpenWindows, I'm not going anywhere near it.

Yeah, well you need that many books to use Motif too, except they don't exist.

Tim Bray (Motif hack in a bad mood (@!$!$#$ form widget...))

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (11/25/90)

| From: mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer)
|
| | From: lcp@ibism.UUCP (Larry Poleshuck)
| |
| | | From: korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp)
| | |
| | | ... cost of media only -- $995 ...
| |
| | What media are you using -- gold-plated clay tablets?
|
| The same stuff BSD ships their distribution on?
|
| Last time I looked, CSRG wanted $700 for a BSD tape set. Given that CSRG
| was using student labor to copy tapes, they should be noticably cheaper.
|
| The price is very high for "free" software; especially if you're used to
| microcomputer software prices. For workstation software, that's not a
| high price. And it's in line with other "free" unix distributions of
| similar size.

  The CSRG distribution fee covers far more than tape distribution
costs.  One of the big ticket items it covers is Keith Bostic's salary.
If you call CSRG for help with 4BSD, it's Keith who answers your
questions.  CSRG considers this distribution support as part of the
distribution cost.

  I haven't heard of any such support being advertised for OpenWindows,
but I expect that there will be some effort to answer problem reports on
XPERT in much the same way that Heather Rose and company answer problem
reports about XView.  And, as others have pointed out, the OpenWindows
distribution probably comes with a fairly hefty chunk of documentation.

  You might be inclined to compare the cost of CSRG's operating system
against Sun's software system, claiming that they're not the same size,
complexity, etc.  On the other hand you should remember that CSRG
operates with a very small staff with almost no waste.  Sun is a major
corporation sporting much higher salaries both in management and at the
peon level (which is the only level which CSRG has! :-))

Casey

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (11/25/90)

| From: mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU
|
| If you have a V7 or later source license, then as of last time I looked,
| you can get your BSD tape from anybody who has one and nobody will care.
| (Berkeley would probably be happier that way because then they don't have
| to grind through writing another tape, even.)

  Actually since CSRG already has the tape ordering and distribution
setup, cutting another tape is not a hassle.  And, as I said before, the
distribution fees are used to fund phone/email 4BSD support.  I think
that CSRG would prefer you to get the distribution from them.  If
everyone were to get free copies from their neighbors, CSRG couldn't
afford to offer 4BSD support.

Casey

mouse@LIGHTNING.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (11/25/90)

[ BSD vs Sun, and "free" source code ]

>>> What media are you using -- gold-plated clay tablets?
>> The same stuff BSD ships their distribution on?

>> Last time I looked, CSRG wanted $700 for a BSD tape set.

> The CSRG distribution fee covers far more than tape distribution
> costs.  One of the big ticket items it covers is Keith Bostic's
> salary.  If you call CSRG for help with 4BSD, it's Keith who answers
> your questions.  CSRG considers this distribution support as part of
> the distribution cost.

Hm.  So we got our BSD tape from a neighbor, but on the other hand we
have never tried to call upon CSRG for help, so I needn't feel guilty.
Right?  Why can't the same be true of OW?  (Or if Sun is worried about
Evil Rip-off Users who get free tapes and then ask for support, admit
that support is really what you're selling.)

To take another tack, compare the levels of support.  I don't know
whether you've ever tried to get real help out of a vendor.  I once was
involved in a project that supposedly had purchased the right to help
from Sun.  We would up UTSLing anyway.  I have never had occasion to
ask Keith Bostic for help with anything, but from what I have heard of
him I would expect real help.  --But wait a minute, that's backwards,
Sun is the one charging a lot of money!

> You might be inclined to compare the cost of CSRG's operating system
> against Sun's software system, claiming that they're not the same
> size, complexity, etc.

Which strikes me as a reasonable argument.  (You don't say which one
you think is larger, more complex, etc, though I can probably guess.)

> On the other hand you should remember that CSRG operates with a very
> small staff with almost no waste.  Sun is a major corporation
> sporting much higher salaries both in management and at the peon
> level (which is the only level which CSRG has! :-))

You seem to be saying that it's OK for Sun to charge lots of money
because they waste most of it.  Are you sure you mean to say that, and
if not, what *do* you mean to say?

Or, to put it another way, why should we accept a high level of waste
from Sun when CSRG's example demonstrates that it's clearly not
necessary, even for a more complex system?

In any case, none of this really bears on the root of the problem - Sun
calling their source free when it clearly isn't.