[comp.windows.x] X windows.

root%paul.ARPA%uscacsc.UUCP@USC-CSE.USC.EDU.UUCP (02/23/87)

I have a question regarding the possible use of a window for
input and output.  I do not want to spawn another shell with xterm,
I merely want to be able to open up a window from which I can
read input given from the keyboard and be able to output responses
on the window.  Xtext will allow me to write into a window but
allows no provisions for reading keyboard input.  Is there
a function(s) that will make this easy or will it be necessary
for me to write a new one?  (obviously I will be writing a
program using this).  Thanks

					...Paul Nahi

asente@figaro.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <8702231624.AA04314@paul.UUCP> root%paul.ARPA%uscacsc.UUCP@USC-CSE.USC.EDU (Paul Nahi) writes:

>  [how do you create a window that you can use for text I/O?  Xtext only
>   allows text output, not input.]

Look at the Xtty library.  This allows you to start up an xterm in a
subwindow and read and write to it using a procedural interface.  It
is, to be frank, a dirty hack, but it's a useful dirty hack.  Note
that it won't work with the release 4 xterm without the fixes I sent
out to the xpert list last month.  I still have them if anyone
needs them.

If you wanted to write a version of this that doesn't use a slave
xterm, please do.  The world will love you for it.

Note to the Berkeley xterm folks:  did my fix to allow Xtty to work get
installed into the distributed xterm?

	-paul asente
	    asente@cascade.stanford.edu    ...decwrl!labrea!cascade!asente

edmoy%opal.Berkeley.EDU@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/25/87)

> Note to the Berkeley xterm folks:  did my fix to allow Xtty to work get
> installed into the distributed xterm?

Yes, sort of.  xterm 6.6B has your bug fix, but the corresponding fix has
not made it yet to Xtty in Xlib.  Someday, we will get around to installing
Release 4 in the source area on prang, and then (I hope) fold in all the
bug fixes.

Edward Moy
Academic Computing Services
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@opal.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!opal!edmoy

pierce@EDDIE.MIT.EDU@rd1632.UUCP (03/10/87)

From:      Gene Pierce
Location:  NCR Corp. WHQ/5E Dayton, Oh. 45479

To:        To whom it may concern

Please add my name to the X Windows discussion list.

                                              Thank You
                                              Gene Pierce

lim@FEEDBACK.STANFORD.EDU (Kelvin O. Lim) (10/09/87)

I am working with X windows on several machines, DEC, IBM RT.  Would appreciate
getting onto a mailing list, bulletin board, etc. if such exists as well as
information on where I can get more programming information for dealing with
graphics in X.

Thanks

Kelvin O. Lim
lim@isl.stanford.edu

beth@utoday.UUCP (beth) (09/16/88)

                I'm trying to write an article about what a "Distributed
        X Network" might look like, and what benefits it would provide
        for users. I heard X is the minicomputer world's answer to
        workstations, because it let's you distribute bit-mapped graphics
        across a terminal-to-host network.
                Can anyone help shed light on these three points?
                Please respond by e-mail to uunet!utoday!beth

        Beth C. Fishkind

dale@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) (09/25/88)

In article <255@utoday.UUCP>, beth@utoday.UUCP (beth) writes:

>                 I'm trying to write an article about what a "Distributed
>         X Network" might look like, and what benefits it would provide

This article posting struck oddly. Perhaps I am completely off base, in
which case I apologize now, or it is either; intended to start a flame
war over the pros and cons of various window systems, or an attempt to
gather some info so that the poster can write an article about a topic
which she/he is not qualified to write about.

If the first case is correct, you will probably succeed. If the second,
I suggest that you ask your editor to assign someone who knows the subject.

--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu

littauer@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (09/28/88)

In article <910@shark.lamont.Columbia.edu> dale@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) writes:
>In article <255@utoday.UUCP>, beth@utoday.UUCP (beth) writes:
>>                 I'm trying to write an article about what a "Distributed
>>         X Network" might look like, and what benefits it would provide
>
>This article posting struck oddly. Perhaps I am completely off base, in
>which case I apologize now, or it is either; intended to start a flame
>war over the pros and cons of various window systems, or an attempt to
>gather some info so that the poster can write an article about a topic
>which she/he is not qualified to write about.
>
>If the first case is correct, you will probably succeed. If the second,
>I suggest that you ask your editor to assign someone who knows the subject.

After all the flames in other groups about the trade press not reflecting
the interests of the technical community, it's nice to see someone coming
to us for informed opinion. Assuming "beginner's mind" is a useful device
for (re)examining a subject for a fresh perspective. It'd be real good to
see an article that talks about real-world benefits as opposed to "it's
new, it's sexy, therefore it's useful" :-).
--
UUCP:  littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ames,uunet}!amdahl!littauer

I'll tell you when I'm giving you the party line. The rest of the time
it's my very own ravings (accept no substitutes).

dgeiger@DECWRL.DEC.COM (Dorothy Geiger) (10/11/88)

I need some information on X-Windows (X-11) in the MS-DOS environment
and was told that you might be able to help me out.  I have a friend
who is currently operating in an MS-DOS environment and will eventually
be moving to a UNIX environment.  He's currently developing some
applications for which X-11 would seem appropriate, and would like to
get a look at it (in his current MS-DOS) environment and potentially
begin developing applications which would be portable to the UNIX
environment.

Could you perhaps provide pointers to a.) reading materials; b.) products/
implementations available in the MS-DOS environment; c.) general utility/
robustness/implementation quality?  Any information/pointers/help would
be greatly appreciated.

Please send replys to dgeiger@decwrl.dec.com, since the friend in question
has yet to enter the world of electronic communications.

Thanks much!!

dorothy geiger

richard@bud.UUCP (10/19/88)

Have I found a reasonable path to ask X windows questions of the xperts!!

Richard karasik
408 922 8271
 ...sun!aeras!bud!richard

card82@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Hammond) (11/23/88)

I am interested in obtaining a reference book on X windows,
if anyone has a good suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Mark Hammond
(312) 979-4355 Work

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (11/23/88)

    I am interested in obtaining a reference book on X windows,
    if anyone has a good suggestion, I would appreciate it.

If you want a *reference* book, you can get the MIT documentation
from the MIT Software Center, by calling (617) 258-8330.  The
Xlib and Protocol reference manuals are coming out (any day now?)
combined in a book from Digital Press.

There are also the books from O'Reilly and Associates, containing
both tutorial and reference information; contact uunet!ora!nuts.
There is also Ollie Jone's book on programming with Xlib (not a
reference manual) published by Prentice Hall.

ric@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Richard Campbell) (07/14/89)

On Page 8 of "The Sun Observer" is an advertisement by Quest Systems Corporation
describing their X server port, "QuestWindows", to Sun Microsystems workstations.

While acknowldging that "X" and "X Window System" are trademarks of (apparently) MIT,
Quest states that "QuestWindows", "X Classic", *and* "X Windows" are trademarks of Quest!

We know that Robert Scheifler has said he doesn't particulary like the name X Windows;
has he just lost the rights to that name?

ric

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (07/14/89)

> [Quest is claiming "X Windows" as a trademark and generally being sloppy about
> attributing trademarks.]

It has been a little while since I last looked into trademark regulations, but
I suspect that the overwhelming number of examples of prior use of the the phrase
"X Windows" would make such a trademark claim difficult to defend.

In article <1137@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> ric@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Richard Campbell) writes:
>On Page 8 of "The Sun Observer" is an advertisement by Quest Systems Corporation
>describing their X server port, "QuestWindows", to Sun Microsystems workstations.
>While acknowldging that "X" and "X Window System" are trademarks of (apparently) MIT,
>Quest states that "QuestWindows", "X Classic", *and* "X Windows" are trademarks of Quest!
>We know that Robert Scheifler has said he doesn't particulary like the name X Windows;
>has he just lost the rights to that name?

The name has ben "misused" so much that is very doubtful anybody will be
able to "trademark" the X-Windows name.  IBM has been calling their version
of the X Window System "X-Windows" since a year ago, for example.

-- Marco Papa
   USC-ACSC
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

larry@ticker.dec.com (Lawrence J. Timmins) (07/19/89)

Someone actually trademarked "X Windows" (utter disbelief) :^)

As you said, Rob might have left it up for grabs, however, Quest would have to
protect its trademark as something unique, etc.

Here is a case where a trademark may have been given without proper research, etc.

"X Windows" is one of the most popular GENERIC phrases that is commonly used for the
X11-related software industry, players, etc.  While many, including MIT, DEC, etc.
respect MIT's trademarks, I have seen "X Windows" for months in every weekly paper/
monthly magazine (much to the chagrin of Rob no doubt).

Good luck to Quest, but "X Windows" appears to already be a GENERIC NAME used without
any knowledge of Quest or its products by many public sources.

Larry Timmins

***** These statements are solely my opinion for discussion within this conference and
***** do not represent any implicit or explicit statement or opinion by my employer.
***** All relevant disclaimers apply.

bsb@toulouse.ee.tulane.edu (Brian S. Bourgeois) (10/11/89)

I am having difficulties using the XGetStandardColorMap function.  I am attempting to load the Gray scale standard color map, but am getting a return value of 0 from the XGetStandardColorMap function indicating that the map is not available.  The map is available in the Xatom.h include file

markc@Solbourne.COM (Mark Connell) (10/11/89)

In article <1140@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, bsb@toulouse.ee.tulane.edu (Brian S. Bourgeois) writes:
> I am having difficulties using the XGetStandardColorMap function.
> The map is available in the Xatom.h include file

Well, if I understand standard colormaps directly, the problem is that the
server you are using does not define the gray scale standard colormap.  The
definition in the Xatom.h file only means that the atom is defined, not
that it has a defined value.  If you want a gray scale colormap, you will
have to define your own.

                                        Mark A. Connell
                                        Solbourne Computer, Inc.
                                        1900 Pike Road
                                        Longmont, Co	80501
                                        (303) 772-3400
                                        markc@Solbourne.COM
                                         ...!uunet!stan!markc

ms2@doc.ic.ac.uk (M Shelley) (11/26/90)

I'm just a poor humble student who is just learning about X windows.
I am just about to start writing a MacWrite style word processor that
will run on Sun 3's under X windows, and I was wondering if anybody has
any source code that might be interesting to look at.

I will be using the toolkit widgets and so I suppose that xman is a good
starting point? Or might it be a better idea to learn to use Motif?

Also, I know that X uses pixel based fonts. Could anybody tell me
anything/direct me to any information about vector font usage (i.e. where you
specify the line that make up the characters, rather than the bitmap image of
it.)

I guess that laserprinter output will be a good idea, so is postscript the
right thing to use? If so are there any good books on it?

	Cheers
			Martin

---------
|      |       /\          /---\   |		Martin A. Shelley
|\    /|      /  \        /        |		Bsc3, Imperial College London.
| \  / |     /    \       \        |
|  \/  |    /      \       \---\   |____	Why is LIFE SO important?
---------

C, n.:
	A programming language that is sort of like Pascal except more
	like assembly except that it isn't very much like either one, or
	anything else.  It is either the best language available to the art
	today, or it isn't.
			-- Ray Simard

---------