[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows Source Facts

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (11/20/90)

The Part Number for this Source Product is: OWPS-2.0-X-X-5.

The source it NOT freely copiable... it is licensed for free, but the
licensee may not redistribute the source... or make it available via
ftp, etc...

The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our
costs for producing and distributing the over 40 lbs of docs, not to
mention the cost of administering this release process.  And once
you've paid this money you have an unlimited site license and "Right To
Use" agreement on all of the source.

To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:

 o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
 o) SVR4 licensee.
 o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
 o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.

This is an unsupported product, (i.e. you cannot call 1 800 USA-4SUN),
so we would prefer that you bought it through one of the "Master
Distributors" who will also support the product.  A list of these
distributors will be announced shortly.

Hardware vendors may deliver OpenWindows binaries on their platform but
must pay royalties to Sun at the following schedule:

unit volume		royalty/unit
0-500			$40
500-5,000		$35
5,000-10,000		$30
10,000-20,000		$25
20,000-50,000		$20
50,000-100,000		$15
100,000-500,000		$10
500,000+		$5

x-terminals are half price per seat.

f3 font's are for display only.  Using xnews to drive printers (a la
NeWSprint) is not covered under this license agreement.  Royalty
agreements may be arranged on a contractual basis with Sun.

The documentation for OpenWindows 2.0 Source Release is in three
subsets: a Technical Referance Manual; graphics rendering manuals, and
the complete programmers and users set from the OpenWindows 2.0
Release.

X11/NeWS 1.0.1 Source Technical Reference Manual (800-5127-10).

	This document details the architecture, design, and
	implementation of the 1.0.1 release server. This document
	covers server internals in sufficient detail to permit a reader
	with previous window system experience to begin experimenting
	with modifications to the X11/ NeWS server.

X11/NeWS graphics interface documents.

	These documents describe the low-level framebuffer interface
	used in the X11/NeWS Window System.

	Shapes Reference Manual (800-3705-11)
	Shapes Internal Architecture Manual (800-3706-11).
	Shapes Quick Reference Manual (800-5139-10)

Also included is the complete document set from the OpenWindows 2.0
Release, which consists of:

	X11/NeWS Version 2 Server Guide (800-4898-10)
	NeWS 2.1 Programmer's Guide (800-4888-10)
	OpenWindows Version 2 Installation & Start-Up Guide (800-4899-10)
	OpenWindows Version 2 User's Guide (800-4930-10)
	OpenWindows Version 2 Release Notes (800-4910-10)
	DeskSet Environment Reference Guide (800-4929-10)
	OLIT Widget Set Programmers Guide (800-5100-10)
	OLIT Widget Set Reference Manual (800-5101-10)
	Xt Intrinsics Programmers Guide (Version 11, Release 4) (800- 5102-10)
	Xt Intrinsics Reference Manual (Version 11, Release 4) (800-5103-10)
Books:
	OPEN LOOK GUI: Functional Specification (800-1060-10)
	OPEN LOOK GUI: Application Style Guidelines (800-1061-10)
	Xlib Reference Manual (O'Reilly & Associates)
	Xlib Programming Manual (O'Reilly & Associates)
	X Protocol Reference Manual (O'Reilly & Associates)
	XView Programming Manual (O'Reilly & Associates)
	POSTSCRIPT Language Reference Manual (Adobe Systems Inc.)
	POSTSCRIPT Language Tutorial and Cookbook (Adobe Systems Inc.)

The source includes the full source to the X11/NeWS server, the OPEN
LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit (OLIT), the XView toolkit, and the clients
clock, cmdtool, shelltool, props, textedit, and olwm.  The 57 standard
F3 OpenFonts(TM) are included.

the rest of deskset is considered as end-user-applications not part of
the developers environment, thus source to the DeskSet applications is
not currently available.

For information regarding Sun Platforms contact:
	Smita Deshpande, (415) 336-4829, smitad@sun.com

For non-Sun platforms please contact:
	Diana Murray, (415) 336-1567, dianam@sun.com

Hope this clears some things up.

-Patrick
    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Windows and Graphics Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

mouse@LIGHTNING.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (11/20/90)

> The [OpenWindows] source it NOT freely copiable... it is licensed for
> free, but the licensee may not redistribute the source...

Marvelous doublespeak.

> or make it available via ftp, etc...

> The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
> directly from a Sun distributor to get it.

I fail to see the difference.  You have to pay and you can't
redistribute; it's not free in either of the senses of the word.
Calling it free doesn't make it free.

> The $995 barely covers our costs for producing and distributing the
> over 40 lbs of docs, not to mention the cost of administering this
> release process.

Awww, poor fellas...want to get shut of the whole mess?  I'm sure
expo's ftp server would be glad to take over the software distribution
and the book publishers wouldn't object to handling the books.

I don't need extra copies of books I have, and the other ones I don't
need, or I'd already have them.  I just want the bits.  Preferably by
ftp (I don't need more tapes cluttering the racks), and if it really is
free, as you've been valiantly trying to pretend, I can't see why not:
if the source is free, nobody is getting any money from the copies of
it that are sold. So nobody loses anything if it's put up for *truly*
free distribution, like for ftp, and many people gain.

Sorry, your claim of "The source is free" rings a kinda hollow.

> Hope this clears some things up.

Yup.  Pretty much what I was fearing.  I suppose I should have expected
it from the company that produces a proprietary window system and calls
it OpenWindows, proprietary font technology and calls it OpenFonts....
(Of course, the "Open" Software Foundation started the whole attempt to
redefine "open", but that doesn't excuse Sun's joining.)

Well, I'll know what it means next time Sun says something is free.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (11/22/90)

[ sorry if you see this twice -- the original followups line was to
  comp.windows.news only ]

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:
>The source it NOT freely copiable... it is licensed for free, but the
>licensee may not redistribute the source... or make it available via
>ftp, etc...
>
>The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
>directly from a Sun distributor to get it.  The $995 barely covers our
>costs for producing and distributing the over 40 lbs of docs, not to
>mention the cost of administering this release process.  And once
>you've paid this money you have an unlimited site license and "Right To
>Use" agreement on all of the source.
Oh goody.  A new definition for "free."   I was getting tired of
the old one anyway...

>To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:
>
> o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
> o) SVR4 licensee.
> o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
> o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.
A new definition for "Open" too.  How quaint.

>Hardware vendors may deliver OpenWindows binaries on their platform but
>must pay royalties to Sun at the following schedule:
>
>unit volume		royalty/unit
>0-500			$40
   (royalty info for "free" and "open" product deleted)
>500,000+		$5
>
>x-terminals are half price per seat.
This "free" release of "open" windows gets less free and less open every time
I hear about it.

Can anybody explain how this "free" and "open" release is any different (legally,
not technically) from the "expensive" and "proprietary" release of Motif?  (Other
than the fact that *anybody* can get Motif for $1K -- none of this SVR4/sparc/non-unix
nonsense).

>Hope this clears some things up.
It certainly cleared up any questions I might have had.

-- Erik

Disclaimer:   Opinions my own, not SGI's.
              I'm OpenWindows and SPARC are trademarks or copyrights or something.
              Motif too, no doubt.

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov21.221054.24244@odin.corp.sgi.com> erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com
(Erik Fortune) writes:

>Can anybody explain how this "free" and "open" release is any different
>(legally, not technically) from the "expensive" and "proprietary" release
>of Motif?

It is not any different. But we all know if you keep calling a cabbage
a FRUIT long enough, you may get people to believe it. And, once you have
enough of those cabbages, you call it a de-facto-standard, as Mr. Schmitt
[sp?] likes to point out. But he forgets that a cabbage is a cabbage, and
even a believer can only eat so many of them.

oz
---
Where the stream runneth smoothest,   | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
the water is deepest.  - John Lyly    | UUCP: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (11/25/90)

In article <3137@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:
> The source is free, but you must buy the documentation and media
> directly from a Sun distributor to get it.

``Six of one, half dozen of another...''

Cut the crap: the source isn't free until it's available by anonymous ftp.

Your charging for the source doesn't bother me.
Your claiming it's free when it clearly isn't, does.

> Hope this clears some things up.

Clear as day.  Thanks.
	...tad

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (11/27/90)

In article <9011200830.AA17238@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> mouse@LIGHTNING.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU writes:
>I don't need extra copies of books I have, and the other ones I don't
>need, or I'd already have them.

This may be true for you, but not for everyone.  I have yet to see the OLIT
books (and a few of the other Open Look related manuals) available from any
source accessible to me.  When they show up in bookstores, please tell me!
I would very much like to have real books on OLIT, not just the intrinsics.
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)