[comp.windows.x] Desktop Publishing/Technical Report Software

carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (11/07/90)

i am in the market for desktop publishing software for our DECstations
(5000 and 3100's) running Ultrix and MIT's X windows.  we do a lot of
technical reports, and require the ability to import graphs and
data from other sources, such as raw data files or postscript files,
or even from a separate graphing program.

we currently use lotus products; manuscript, freelance and 123, and
would like a software package with these capabilities.

the two i've heard about are frame and decwrite.  is frame available
for this platform?  will decwrite run under X11R4?  does anyone have
opinions on the pros/cons of this or other similar software?

thanks.
					- dave

fgreco@dprg-330.GOVt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (11/07/90)

Forget about decwrite.  Use Framemaker.  I use it on X11R4 (2.1X)
on a SPARCstation.
Although I'm also a Ventura/CorelDraw user on my PC, Frame on
X combines features of both (although typographic controls on Ventura
are a bit finer than Frame).

A side note, the NeWS version of Frame looks *real* nice.  They showed
it at Seybold and at Unix Expo.  Uses the Epub features of NeWS, ie,
scaleable Folio Fonts, inherent Postscript handling, O-O toolkit (TNT), etc.
I suggest you take a look at it to see where they're headed.

Frank G.

carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (11/08/90)

thanks for all the reponses.  i received tons of mail, half of which
recommended frame and the other half recommended interleaf.  (nobody
recommended decwrite; in fact i received many negative comments about
decwrite.)

i've called and requested a demo copy of both frame and interleaf, and
hopefully will evaluate each in the next few weeks.

						- dave

mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (11/11/90)

Interleaf -- a very good DP package for technical stuff, is available under
Ultrix and X11.  You should check it.

I used to use it on Suns (SunOS) and got to test it under Ultrix 3.0 on DEC3100.

Michael Fingerhut

CLAR@FRESE51.BITNET (11/12/90)

        We are using DECwrite since one year and we are very pleased with
it. The students have learned it very easily and they are making very good
reports.

        Daniel Clar
        Computer Operations Manager
        Ecole Superieure d'Electricite
        Plateau de Moulon
        91192 GIF-SUR-YVETTE Cedex
        FRANCE
        E-mail : clar@frese51.bitnet

[EOB]

taylor@qtp.ufl.edu (Charles Taylor) (11/14/90)

You might want to take a look at The Publisher from ArborText.

                   ArborText Inc.
                   535 W. William St.
                   Suite 300
                   Ann Arbor, MI  48103
                   (313) 996-3566

or contact mec@arbortext.com

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (11/18/90)

>Interleaf -- a very good DP package for technical stuff, is available under
>Ultrix and X11.  You should check it.
>
>I used to use it on Suns (SunOS) and got to test it under Ultrix 3.0 on DEC3100.

Unless it's changed since I evaluated it (about a year ago, on a Sun),
Interleaf has got one of the most god-awful user interfaces known to man.

Menued to death (six or eight deep, maybe more), poorly organized, and
very error-prone.  I tested it on a medium size project and had someone
else do the same to get two opinions.  We both hated it.  Framemaker
was a god-send after that.

Interleaf makes no attempt to fit into the surrounding window system,
its interface works in a completely different, alien way.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com
--

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (11/19/90)

<
<Unless it's changed since I evaluated it (about a year ago, on a Sun),
<Interleaf has got one of the most god-awful user interfaces known to man.
<
<Menued to death (six or eight deep, maybe more), poorly organized, and
<very error-prone.  I tested it on a medium size project and had someone
<else do the same to get two opinions.  We both hated it.  Framemaker
<was a god-send after that.
<

I have to totally agree with the above comments.

It was a pleasure installing FrameMaker in a matter of minutes after
wrestling with Interleaf for hours in the past.

--

                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov18.014103.20227@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>Unless it's changed since I evaluated it (about a year ago, on a Sun),
>Interleaf has got one of the most god-awful user interfaces known to man.
>...  I tested it on a medium size project and had someone
>else do the same to get two opinions.  We both hated it.  Framemaker
>was a god-send after that.

We did essentially the same thing a while back on a larger scale, and reached
the same conclusion.  Framemaker is *much* easier to use than Interleaf.
(I certainly like it).  My only real complaint is that it rather tends to be
a memory hog.  But then I suppose so is Interleaf, so I doubt there is much
difference there.
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)