[comp.windows.x] How to display two or more xloadimage windows

sriniv@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Srinivas Kankanahalli) (11/29/90)

Hi
  Can someone suggest a way to display two or more colour images in
different windows using xloadimage?. The problem we are facing is
that there is only one window in focus. As soon as the cursor is moved
out of the window, the image disappears. If the cursor is taken to the
other window, the image becomes active. We think it is due to sharing
or non-sharing of colourmaps. Can somebody please help.
-srini
sriniv@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

dbrooks@penge.osf.org (David Brooks) (11/29/90)

In article <1033@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> sriniv@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Srinivas Kankanahalli) writes:
>Hi
>  Can someone suggest a way to display two or more colour images in
>different windows using xloadimage?. The problem we are facing is
>that there is only one window in focus. As soon as the cursor is moved
>out of the window, the image disappears.

It's my guess that it doesn't literally disappear.  If it does, you
have a serious problem.  It probably "goes technicolor", meaning it
looks like it was splattered by a random collection of paintbrushes.

This is caused by xloadimage (a) trying to use the default colormap,
which only has n (usually <256) entries free (b) noticing the picture
needs >n distinct colors (c) allocating a private colormap and using
that (d) asking the window manager to load the right colormap at the
right time (e) return to (a) for the second picture.

Do this: make a guess at how many colormap entries you have free in
your default map.  200 is a good round number.  Then:
	xloadimage -colors 100 image1
(ok so far?)
	xloadimage -colors 100 image2
(hold your breath)

If you still get technicolor, try 90, 80, and so on until (a) it works
or (b) the resulting color scheme is too far removed from the original
to be interesting.  (a) happens nearly all the time.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

etaylor@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Eric Taylor) (11/29/90)

In article <1033@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>, sriniv@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Srinivas Kankanahalli) writes:
|> Hi
|>   Can someone suggest a way to display two or more colour images in
|> different windows using xloadimage?. The problem we are facing is
|> that there is only one window in focus. As soon as the cursor is moved
|> out of the window, the image disappears. If the cursor is taken to the
|> other window, the image becomes active. We think it is due to sharing
|> or non-sharing of colourmaps. Can somebody please help.
|> -srini
|> sriniv@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

You have a fundamental problem shared by everyone with 8-bit
workstations.  You can't do it all of the time.  You can only
approximate.  It is not a problem with focus.  Only one colormap
can be installed at any given time (with most hardware.  I believe
the Silicon Graphics can have 16 at one time).

You might try bringing up your X server with an 8-bit TrueColor
Visual.  This will give you very choppy images, but it will do it.

If this is unstatisfactory, I can give you a program that addresses this
very problem and will display very nice images that share the default
colormap.
--
					Eric Taylor
					Baylor College of Medicine