[comp.windows.x] Displaying GIF pictures under X windows

kremer@cs.utwente.nl (Harro Kremer) (11/26/90)

Does anybody have a program to display pictures stored in GIF89a format
on a machine running Xwindows X11R4 ?

Harro
| Harro Kremer                                             |
| Dept. of Computer Science                                |
| University of Twente                                     |
| P.O. Box 217                Email: kremer@cs.utwente.nl  |
| 7500 AE  Enschede           voice: +31 53 89 2819        |
| Netherlands                 fax  : +31 53 33 3815        |

pfuetz@zgdvda.zgdvda.uucp (Matthias Pfuetzner) (11/27/90)

There are at least two tools to  achieve this goal:  Try xloadimage or
xgif  (now  xv).   They   should  be   available  at  any  archive  of
comp.sources.x. xv is being posted two months ago, xloadimage nearly 5
months ago.

Hope this helps!

	Matthias

P.S.: I'd prefer xloadimage. It can display  much more graphic formats
than  just gif89a. xv also can  more than just  gif, but xloadimage is
faster, does dithering  on  monochrome monitors, can set X-background,
can do any combination of multiple pictures into one, etc.

--
            @work:            | Matthias Pfuetzner  |         @home:
  ZGDV, Wilhelminenstrasse 7  | 6100 Darmstadt, FRG |  Lichtenbergstrasse 73

jimf@SABER.COM (11/28/90)

|There are at least two tools to  achieve this goal:  Try xloadimage or
|xgif  (now  xv).   They   should  be   available  at  any  archive  of
|comp.sources.x. xv is being posted two months ago, xloadimage nearly 5
|months ago.

Xloadimage does not yet support 89a, only 87a.  I haven't had time to
try adding support for 89a (probably won't have time in the near
future unless someone does it for me).

|P.S.: I'd prefer xloadimage. It can display  much more graphic formats
|than  just gif89a. xv also can  more than just  gif, but xloadimage is
|faster, does dithering  on  monochrome monitors, can set X-background,
|can do any combination of multiple pictures into one, etc.

Thanks for the plug :-).  Some minor changes have improved display
speed for most image types dramatically for the upcoming 2.02 release,
so you'll be even happier.

Happy hacking,

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

dave@boingo.med.jhu.edu (David Heath) (11/29/90)

jimf@SABER.COM writes:

>|There are at least two tools to  achieve this goal:  Try xloadimage or
>|xgif  (now  xv).   They   should  be   available  at  any  archive  of
>|comp.sources.x. xv is being posted two months ago, xloadimage nearly 5
>|months ago.

>Xloadimage does not yet support 89a, only 87a.  I haven't had time to
>try adding support for 89a (probably won't have time in the near
>future unless someone does it for me).

From reading the compuserv GIF documentation, I was under the impression
the GIF standard was meant to be easily extensible. Software written for
old versions of the standard would just ignore blocks that they didn't
understand. If this is so, they WHY do so many programmers who write
GIF readers insist on checking for "GIF87a" in the header? This seems
incredibly short sighted to me.

If there is a good reason for this, I would like to hear it.

-dave heath
dave@boingo.med.jhu.edu

eeidson@eng.AUburn.EDU (Eric Eidson) (11/29/90)

In <1990Nov29.031653.28066@boingo.med.jhu.edu>, David Heath writes:

|> >From reading the compuserv GIF documentation, I was under the impression
|> the GIF standard was meant to be easily extensible. Software written for
|> old versions of the standard would just ignore blocks that they didn't
|> understand. If this is so, they WHY do so many programmers who write
|> GIF readers insist on checking for "GIF87a" in the header? This seems
|> incredibly short sighted to me.

|> If there is a good reason for this, I would like to hear it.

The only reasons that I can think of is:

a)  It's the easiest way to make sure that it is a gif format file...wouldn't
	want to read a MACPaint file as a GIF, would we?

b)  I only know of two GIF formats, gif87a and gif89a.  Since most of the
	programs were written before gif89a was released for designers, why
	would anyone NOT use it to check to see if the file was a GIF???

I don't mean for the above to sound rude.  You are right, the GIF format was
designed to be easily extensible from what I remember reading.  But when
programmers weren't sure that there was ever going to be a new and improved
format, that would just be an extension of the current format, why bother with
programming in extensibility when the programmer would not be sure what needed
extended?  Furthermore, if the new format was just an extension of the old
format, isn't the only thing needed to handle the new block (the ones you are
currently ignoring) to add the pertinant code.

So, it's not really a good reason, I just can't think of a good reason not to
do it that way...

--------------------
The above is just the way I understood the situation...
If I'm wrong, tell me... Send me any comments, corrections (likely), flames,
praises (doubtful), etc...

Hunter Eidson

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Hunter Eidson                 | "I am the bringer...        |
| Auburn University             |  I am the knower...         |
| eeidson@eng.auburn.edu        |  I am the owner...          |
| (205)844-7691                 |  PSYCHOPOMPS...             |
| (205)844-2280                 |  THE SPARROWS ARE FLYING."  |
+-------------------------------+-----------------------------+
                 Stephen King -  The Dark Half

jimf@SABER.COM (11/29/90)

|From reading the compuserv GIF documentation, I was under the impression
|the GIF standard was meant to be easily extensible. Software written for
|old versions of the standard would just ignore blocks that they didn't
|understand. If this is so, they WHY do so many programmers who write
|GIF readers insist on checking for "GIF87a" in the header? This seems
|incredibly short sighted to me.
|
|If there is a good reason for this, I would like to hear it.

Xloadimage, for one, reads not only GIF files but twelve other
graphics formats.  It's often difficult to distinguish between formats
quickly, and in some cases it's nearly impossible -- especially when
some formats are derived from others.  When an image format supplies a
magic number of some sort, there's a strong tendency to look at that
magic number to determine if you should bother going further.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (11/30/90)

>|than  just gif89a. xv also can  more than just  gif, but xloadimage is
>|faster, does dithering  on  monochrome monitors

What version of xv do you have?  The one that I've got certainly does
halftoning of multi-bit images on 1-bit displays.

Both xloadimage and xv are fine programs, and I thank the respective
authors for providing them.  For run-of-the-mill image display, I use
xloadimage.  I use xv when I want to brighten an image, since it has
the interactive gamma feature, and also when I want to crop an image (eg.,
to remove the big borders that seem to emanate from ms-dos land).