[net.news] "orphaned response" considered harmful

brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (08/05/85)

I'm probably flaming in the wrong newsgroup, but doesn't this one take
the cake:

	From: Anonymous@hpfcla.UUCP (Anonymous)
	Newsgroups: net.flame
	Subject: Re: Orphaned Response
	Date: 27 Jul 85 02:08:00 GMT

As if Orphaned Responses weren't bad enough, now we get Anonymous
Orphaned Responses!  And with a references line to a previous article,
its still orphaned!  Severely heavy sigh.

Whoever designed this misbegotten abortion of a news system (hint:
"notes") should be taken out and maimed.

Actually, on a saner note, what are the implications of writing a simple
filtering front end to inews to discard this kind of noise?  Or perhaps
just moving it to net.orphaned.response?

A Modest Proposal:

Seems to me that some general mechanism for editing and redirecting news
could be very helpful.  It would be nice, for example, to be able to
specify some of the following to clean up news:

	1. All orphaned responses are returned to the sender's host's
	system administrator's mailbox with a request to clean up their
	news software.

	2. Anything posted to net.flame and anywhere else is placed only
	in net.flame.

	3. Anything posted to net.general and anywhere else is dropped
	from net.general.

	4. Anything posted to more than 2 newsgroups is put in net.misc.

	5. Anything posted in net.general from a bell site is put in
	nj.forsale.

	etc, etc, etc.

True, I'm not completely serious about these particular proposals, but
don't they give you furiously to think about what could be done with
some sort of really nice semantic analyzer and a header recomposer?  Or
maybe just a thundering great awk script?

Perhaps in my copious free time I'll try to come up with something.

---
	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

	decvax\ 	brian@ucsd.arpa
	akgua  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc

"3 units and counting..."			(sorry, Gene)

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (08/06/85)

I have thought about a general mechanism for filtering articles as you
describe, but haven't had the time or inclination to do anything about
it.  Meanwhile the hacks pile up in inews.c.

Here is a list of sites guilty of sending out orphaned responses over
the last two weeks.  Some of these originated orphaned responses, and
some just replied to them.  Those that originated them (the biggest
offender is HP; where is their SA?) should install the latest notes
software, because they are running old buggy stuff.  Those that just
replied, and any one else who cares, should install the filter given at
the end of this message.

convexs
datacube
druak
faust
hpcnof
hpfcla
hpfclg
hpfclm
hpfclo
hpfclp
hpfclq
hpfclt
hpfcly
hpfcmp
hpfcms
hpfcmt
hpfcrs
hpgrla
hplvle
ihu1g
lll-crg
mnetor
phri
pyuxd
rti-sel
smu
sun
utastro
whuts
wlcrjs

Here is the filter to reject orphaned responses.  This goes in inews.c.

***************
*** 560,565
  		xxit(1);
  	}

  	if (is_ctl) {
  		control(&header);
  		localize("control");

--- 569,579 -----
  		xxit(0);
  	}

+ 	if (!strcmp(header.title, "Re: Orphaned Response")) {
+ 		logerr("Rejected orphaned response");
+ 		xxit(0);
+ 	}
+
  	if (is_ctl) {