[net.news] "rn" blows up on reading empty group

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/30/85)

I've discovered a situation that consistently causes "rn" to die. I have
been making a special effort to see what the new "mod.newprod" group is
for. There have been no postings in that group yet at this site, but it
has been created. When I do a "g mod.newprod" and then type a "1" to
look at the first posting, the system tells me that the last posting in
the group is "0" and then it displays this message and dies horribly:

Caught a SIGBUS--.newsrc restored
Illegal Instruction - core dumped

It would probably be a good thing if the code that can't handle
zero-content groups would be fixed to not blow up...

Thought this might be interesting to you news gurus out there...

Will

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (08/02/85)

In article <307@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>  ...There have been no postings in that group yet at this site, but it
>has been created. When I do a "g mod.newprod" and then type a "1" to
>look at the first posting, the system tells me that the last posting in
>the group is "0" and then it displays this message and dies horribly:
>
>Caught a SIGBUS--.newsrc restored
>Illegal Instruction - core dumped
>
>It would probably be a good thing if the code that can't handle
>zero-content groups would be fixed to not blow up...

Let's see.  I'll fix that one about 4 months ago.  Back into my DeLorean...

ZAP!

Okay, if you install the rn version 4.3 kit that was posted back in May,
you should find that the bug is now fixed, unless you're on a different
timeline from me.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/08/85)

In article <307@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>I've discovered a situation that consistently causes "rn" to die ...
>When I do a "g mod.newprod" and then type a "1" to
>look at the first posting, the system tells me that the last posting in
>the group is "0" and then it displays this message and dies horribly:
>
>Caught a SIGBUS--.newsrc restored
>Illegal Instruction - core dumped

  Funny, mod.newprod is also empty down here and I just tried to read
article #1 and it came back with a "No articles" message. It didn't
core dump.

--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell