[comp.windows.x] DECwindows under X11R4

sfleming@zeus.cs.hw.ac.uk (Stewart T. Fleming) (12/04/90)

I recently installed X11R4 ona DECStation 5200 running Ultrix 4.0
Although most of the original DECwindows clients still work, the original
fonts are in .pcf format and do not seem to be recognised by the new server.
I have fixed this in the meantime by aliasing to standard fonts, but I would like
the old fonts back !!  Is there any way to convert PCF to SNF, or is there an
archive of DECwindows SNF fonts ?

The other problem with the new server is that it does not have the Display
PostScript extensions which the original server had.  Is there anywhere I can
get hold of DPS extensions for X11R4 ?

Thanks for any help,
Stewart
--

sfleming@uk.ac.hw.cs or sfleming@cs.hw.ac.uk or ...ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!sfleming
"Jedi programmers do it with byte sabres."

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (12/05/90)

In article <1756@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> sfleming@zeus.cs.hw.ac.uk (Stewart T. Fleming) writes:
>I recently installed X11R4 ona DECStation 5200 running Ultrix 4.0
>Although most of the original DECwindows clients still work, the original
>fonts are in .pcf format and do not seem to be recognised by the new server.
>I have fixed this in the meantime by aliasing to standard fonts, but I would like
>the old fonts back !!  Is there any way to convert PCF to SNF, or is there an
>archive of DECwindows SNF fonts ?

Perhaps this ought to go in the FAQ; it's come up a couple of times in the
past two days.

In any case, Jordan Hayes (jordan@morgan.com) has a "font extractor"
that you can use to get the pcf fonts from the Dec server and write
to a bdf file, which you can then compile to snf fonts.

I suppose I can also supply this program, which I got from Jordan; just
giving credit where credit is due.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Good girls get to go to heaven, but bad girls get to go everywhere!