[comp.windows.x] 2 queries: Xdm & lockscreen

bmc@MYCROFT.MAYO.EDU (11/30/90)

Having setup a Sun 3/50 as an X terminal and using Xdm as the
login prompter, I get a message "This is an unsecure session"
in the login widget. How does one go about eliminating it and
what does it mean?

I am also looking for a lockscreen program that will run as a
deamon (should lock the screen after x minutes of inactivity)
and run under X. Does anyone know of such a beast available
via anonymous ftp?

Many thanks

--Bruce

Bruce M. Cameron                                 bmc@mayo.edu
Biotechnology Computing Resource                 (507) 284-3288
Medical Sciences 1-14
Mayo Foundation
Rochester, MN 55960                              WD9CKW

melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) (12/02/90)

This was discussed on one of the newsgroups over here.  If Xdm is running
on a platform that does not support XDMCP, it will display the "unsecure
session" message.  It should work fine, for example, on X11R4.  One thing
you might want to do is change the unsecure session message in your
.Xdefaults file, as follows:

	xlogin.Login.unsecureGreeting: "Welcome to X"

-----
John B. Melby
Fujitsu Limted, Machida, Japan
melby%yk.fujitsu.co.jp@uunet
{uunet,ubvax}!fai!fgw!yk.fujitsu.co.jp!melby

mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (12/03/90)

> Having setup a Sun 3/50 as an X terminal and using Xdm as the login
> prompter, I get a message "This is an unsecure session" in the login
> widget.  How does one go about eliminating it and what does it mean?

I'm not entirely certain what it means, though I would assume that it
means that xdm has for some reason decided it can't run the session as
securely as it would like.

I found that it went away when I added

DisplayManager*authorize:	false

to the xdm-config file.  This may be overkill for you.  (Suggestions
freely offered and probably worth what you paid. :-)

> I am also looking for a lockscreen program that will run as a deamon
> (should lock the screen after x minutes of inactivity) and run under
> X.  Does anyone know of such a beast available via anonymous ftp?

The core X protocol does not provide sufficient support to do such a
thing in any reasonable way, though there seems to me that it might be
possible to kludge something with grabs.  I seem to recall hearing of
an extension (the name "XIDLE" comes to mind) that addresses the
problem; I have not tried any such.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

bmc@mycroft.mayo.EDU (12/03/90)

Thanks for the information. I'll give your suggestion
about xdm. If you hear anything more about that extension,
I'd appreciate it if you'd pass the info along. I'd rather
not kludge something together.

--Bruce

len@mel.dit.csiro.au (Len Makin) (12/05/90)

In article <9011292309.AA04319@mycroft.mayo.edu>, bmc@MYCROFT.MAYO.EDU writes:

|> Having setup a Sun 3/50 as an X terminal and using Xdm as the
|> login prompter, I get a message "This is an unsecure session"
|> in the login widget. How does one go about eliminating it and

Put the following in your  xdm-config file:

DisplayManager*authorize:       False

|> what does it mean?

RTFM  (man xdm)
     DisplayManager.DISPLAY.authorize

     DisplayManager.DISPLAY.authName
          authorize is a boolean resource which controls whether
          xdm generates and uses authorization for the server
          connections.  If authorization is used, authName speci-
          fies the type to use.  Currently, xdm supports only
          MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authorization, XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1
          could be supported as well, but DES is not generally
          distributable.  XDMCP connections specify which author-
          ization types are supported dynamically, so authName is
          ignored in this case.  When authorize is set for a
          display and authorization is not available, the user is
          informed by having a different message displayed in the
          login widget.  By default, authorize is "true"; auth-
          Name is "MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1".

     DisplayManager.DISPLAY.authFile"
          This file is used to communicate the authorization data

|> -----------------------------------------------------------------
|> Bruce M. Cameron                                 bmc@mayo.edu
|> Biotechnology Computing Resource                 (507) 284-3288
|> Medical Sciences 1-14
|> Mayo Foundation
|> Rochester, MN 55960                              WD9CKW

	Len Makin
	Monash University College, Gippsland
	len@giaea.oz.au
	(Temporarily on leave at CSIRO DIT (Melbourne)).
	len@mel.dit.csiro.au