[net.news] cutbacks

The subnet centered on utzoo -- most of Eastern Canada -- is starting to
discuss the idea of major cuts in non-technical newsgroups.  This is partly
a matter of phone bills, partly general resource consumption on the more
central systems, and partly fed-up sys admins who don't think that groups
like net.origins and net.flame are worth it.

Suggestions on alternative actions are solicited.  For obvious reasons,
the readers would strongly prefer things like moderated newsgroups rather
than total extinction.  Does anybody have any bright ideas on the mechanics
of converting, say, net.singles to moderated form?  (I know it's been tried
and didn't work; my suggestion is more drastic methods, like maybe killing
the unmoderated group at backbone sites after a conversion period.)
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/05/85)

How about minor cuts in non-technical newsgroups? Or maybe mod.origins and
mod.flame. Maybe we could get Stanley Friesen & Paul DuBose as co-moderators
for mod.origins? :->
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

In article <330@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Maybe we could get Stanley Friesen & Paul DuBose as co-moderators
>for mod.origins? :->
>--
	How would this work? Would I moderate the pro-evolution side
of the argument and Paul moderate the creationist side? :-)
And where would I get the time? Just answering a few of the postings
takes more time than I can really afford.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen