[comp.windows.x] Xv on color systems

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (12/03/90)

We are running xv, the X image viewer, on a Sun 3/60 color machine, under
X11R4 with twm and olwm, and under OpenWindows with olwm.  In all cases,
color images are displayed as black.  The tool works correctly on monochrome
machines, dithering the color images.  Is there a bug with xv on color
systems?  Are there patches I've missed?  I have a hard time believing
that this thing doesn't work on color machines.  Are there installation
peculiarities I should be aware of?

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

jimf@SABER.COM (12/04/90)

|We are running xv, the X image viewer, on a Sun 3/60 color machine, under
|X11R4 with twm and olwm, and under OpenWindows with olwm.  In all cases,
|color images are displayed as black.  The tool works correctly on monochrome
|machines, dithering the color images.  Is there a bug with xv on color
|systems?  Are there patches I've missed?  I have a hard time believing
|that this thing doesn't work on color machines.  Are there installation
|peculiarities I should be aware of?

This sounds suspiciously like a problem that I have with xloadimage
when compiled with gcc 1.37, due to a gcc optimizer bug.  If you
compiled with gcc try recompiling with cc.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (12/04/90)

In article <9012031922.AA02328@armory>, jimf@SABER.COM writes:
> |We are running xv, the X image viewer, on a Sun 3/60 color machine, under
> |X11R4 with twm and olwm, and under OpenWindows with olwm.  In all cases,
> |color images are displayed as black.  The tool works correctly on monochrome
> |machines, dithering the color images.  Is there a bug with xv on color
> |systems?  Are there patches I've missed?  I have a hard time believing
> |that this thing doesn't work on color machines.  Are there installation
> |peculiarities I should be aware of?
>
> This sounds suspiciously like a problem that I have with xloadimage
> when compiled with gcc 1.37, due to a gcc optimizer bug.  If you
> compiled with gcc try recompiling with cc.

     Interesting.  The problem with xv was that it only works when compiled
with gcc, version 1.37, I believe.  I recompiled using gcc and it ran fine.
When compiled with Sun's C compiler, SunOS 4.1, Sun-3, it did not work.
Does someone from Sun know about this?

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912			AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902			FAX   : (407) 729-2537

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

uk1@fabry.rice.edu (Paul A. Scowen) (12/05/90)

whoa, wait a minute,

we've had xv running on our 3/280 for over a month now, compiled with cc,
under 4.0.3.  You must be doing something else.

--
Paul Scowen
Department of Space Physics

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (12/05/90)

>> |We are running xv, the X image viewer, on a Sun 3/60 color machine, under
>> |X11R4 with twm and olwm, and under OpenWindows with olwm.  In all cases,
>> |color images are displayed as black.
>> This sounds suspiciously like a problem that I have with xloadimage
>> when compiled with gcc 1.37, due to a gcc optimizer bug.
>     Interesting.  The problem with xv was that it only works when compiled
>with gcc, version 1.37, I believe.

xv works for me on both 3's and 4's, when compiled with Sun's cc under
4.0.3 and run under real X.  The save window doesn't work as I'd expect, though -- one can
select a file from the browser, but clicking on it doesn't seem to do
anything -- I have to manually type in the filename.  I'm not sure if
this is inherent to the code, or if it's a result of me compiling with
too much optimization.

--

802374130%RUMAC@UPR1.UPR.CUN.EDU (12/06/90)

Hi
	Curious thing that xv doesn't compile using cc since that is what I used

	SPARCStation 1, MIT X11R4pl18, twm, shared libraries, cc
	Xv came from expo.lcs.mit.edu, fixed include file missing before got it
to compile...

David Gonzalez / internet:  802374130%rumac@upr1.upr.cun.edu
CEENET Lab Staff            D_GONZALEZ@upr1.upr.cun.edu
University of Puerto Rico
Mayaguez Campus -- Engineering School
"Puerto Rico: The Shinning Star of the Caribean"

envbvs@epb7.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (12/06/90)

In article <109861@convex.convex.com>, datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri)
writes:

|> xv works for me on both 3's and 4's, when compiled with Sun's cc under
|> 4.0.3 and run under real X.  The save window doesn't work as I'd expect,
|> though -- one can
|> select a file from the browser, but clicking on it doesn't seem to do
|> anything -- I have to manually type in the filename.  I'm not sure if
|> this is inherent to the code, or if it's a result of me compiling with
|> too much optimization.

Try patch level 1.  If you double click on a filename in the save menu
it will copy the name into the savename.

--
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory