[net.news] cleaning up the net -- software revisited

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/23/85)

Based on the feedback I've been getting, I wanted to post and updated
version of my software suggestions. Please feel free to comment further --
this is more or less what I'm looking at as an implementation guide, so if
we don't change it now, it'll turn into code (at which point it will be too
late, of course...)

The line length limitation suggestion, while an interesting intellectual
idea, has some bizarre practical implications. I'm also not terribly sure
it would solve anything at this point, so I'm dropping it. There may be
better ways of looking at this later.

Followup-fan-in: A better (and probably easier to implement) form of
    followup-fan-in has been suggested. Rather than mung out the header of
    followups, mung out the header of all articles with a non-null
    'followup-to' so that it will followup to the first newsgroup on the
    newsgroup list.

    This has the great advantage that it only modifies articles that have
    no explicit 'followup-to' header line, allowing people out there to
    manually override when they feel it neccessary while still
    accomplishing the proper default. By adding the followup-to line, rn
    will now show a header line to readers showing where the future
    discussion will be, making it easier to track down an interesting
    conversation (without having to make major software changes, either).

Etiquette enforcement: Jerry@oliveb has been nice enough to implement
    the enforcement for net.flame. I suggest we extend it to the following
    groups as well:

	net.flame
	net.misc
	net.net-people
	net.followup
	net.general

    Also, if the groups 'net.unix-wizards,net.unix' are cross posted,
    remove 'net.unix-wizards'

    There are a lot of other enforcements I'd like to make, but I want to
    study the implications further before I make specific suggestions --
    they aren't always clear cut. Thanks to Jerry's work, this is also
    rather trivial to implement. If we decide later to do a more extensive
    enforcement, it should be broken out into a separate function and file
    for ease of maintenance (see my article on munc_header()).

rogue users and the hit list: This proposal is essentially unchanged, and
    seems to be pretty well supported. Unfortunately, since it is a fair
    amount of code I don't know when I'll get it implemented (the other two
    are serious weekend hacks) and I'm considering a brute force method
    temporarily.

I'm still interested in comments -- I'm specifically interested in the
feelings on the net on enforcement of those other groups -- I think a
strong case can be made for all of them that cross-postings should be
avoided (the weakest being net.net-people). For net.general, net.followup,
and net.misc, I think the proper approach would be to remove them from the
list instead of the others, but I'm still open to suggestion.
--
:From the carousel of the autumn carnival:        Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Your fifteen minutes are up. Please step aside!

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (07/25/85)

In article <3023@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>rogue users and the hit list: This proposal is essentially unchanged, and
>    seems to be pretty well supported.

HOLD ON, THERE!!!  I'm a rogue user, I play rogue about three hours a
day, and I don't want to be on any gosh-darned hit list just because I
play rogue!  What gives you the right to pick on poor rogue players,
anyway?  You've gone too far this time!  We have rights, too!

What? ....   Oh, you don't mean people who play rogue?  ....
Oh.
Nevermind.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,hplabs,intelca,nsc,proper}!qantel!stv

kyle@ucla-cime.UUCP (Kyle D. Henriksen) (08/02/85)

In article <3023@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Followup-fan-in: A better (and probably easier to implement) form of
>    followup-fan-in has been suggested. Rather than mung out the header of
>    followups, mung out the header of all articles with a non-null
>    'followup-to' so that it will followup to the first newsgroup on the
>    newsgroup list.

This is a good idea.

>Etiquette enforcement: Jerry@oliveb has been nice enough to implement
>    the enforcement for net.flame. I suggest we extend it to the following
>    groups as well:

Etiquette enforcement for "net.flame"???!  I thought that the normal rules on
the net were suspended for that group.  Am I mistaken?  By the way I thought
your site no longer carried "net.flame" anyway.

>	net.misc
>	net.net-people
>	net.followup
>	net.general

for these groups the enforcement is probably fine.

>    There are a lot of other enforcements I'd like to make, but I want to
>    study the implications further before I make specific suggestions --
>    they aren't always clear cut. Thanks to Jerry's work, this is also
>    rather trivial to implement. If we decide later to do a more extensive
>    enforcement, it should be broken out into a separate function and file
>    for ease of maintenance (see my article on munc_header()).
>
>rogue users and the hit list: This proposal is essentially unchanged, and
>    seems to be pretty well supported. Unfortunately, since it is a fair
>    amount of code I don't know when I'll get it implemented (the other two
>    are serious weekend hacks) and I'm considering a brute force method
>    temporarily.
>
>I'm still interested in comments

I'm glad that you are!  Why are any of the above measures necessary?  The
problems that brought about most of these ideas seem to have abated themselves.
I have precious few moments of CPU time for news as it is, adding more overhead
to the software is going to increase per article processing time and generally
make the news softeare more of a mess than it already is.  I for one vote no.

Now whats all this about the enforcements "YOU" would like to make to the net?
Do not the rest of us have a voice or an option?  I really haven't detected a
distinct consensus on the net pushing us in the directions you advocate.  To the
best of my knowledge you don't even carry "net.flame" anymore yet you still want
to legislate the content of it.

So what do you other SA's think?  Should we implement "Hit lists" and such?
Should we resort to what is essentially "book banning"?

Well thats How I see it.

Kyle...
--

Kyle Henriksen
US Snail:	UCLA - Crump Institute

OLDARPA:	ucla-cime!kyle@UCLA-LOCUS.arpa
NEWARPA:	ucla-cime!kyle@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
UUCP:		{ucla-cs,cepu}!ucla-cime!kyle

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/13/85)

> In article <3023@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> >Followup-fan-in: A better (and probably easier to implement) form of
> >    followup-fan-in has been suggested. Rather than mung out the header of
> >    followups, mung out the header of all articles with a non-null
> >    'followup-to' so that it will followup to the first newsgroup on the
> >    newsgroup list.
>
> This is a good idea.

This is a bad idea. What happens if I don't read net.foo, but followup
to a message posted on net.bar,net.foo? I won't see any responses to my
followup! I don't see any reason why followups can't just hang around the
groups they started with the way they do now.

> make the news softeare more of a mess than it already is.  I for one vote no.

2 votes.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter