[net.news.group] mailing lists vs. newsgroups: f

tp@ndm20 (09/18/85)

>Well, my mailing list is in Australia - the formula doesn't
>include localities as a parameter - in fact, it concerns
>some local Australian TV soap opera that isn't seen outside
>Australia, and never will be.

>Yet, somehow, amazingly, its more economical to the net as
>a whole to turn this thing into a newsgroup than to leave it
>as a mailing list!

>What's more, nothing changes if the mailing list isn't spread
>over 200 different Australian hosts, but is all on my local
>host and doesn't go over the network at all!

SHEESH!!! Now I know why every once in a while Chuq gets ticked and starts
flaming people. This is what you get for trying to add a little more light
and a little less heat to an argument. ("Gee, if I act like an idiot and use
this formula incorrectly, it doesn't work! That was a real stupid suggestion!
Leave us alone, we like to argue, don't bother us with facts!").

If you read the whole article, he is talking about taking a network wide
mailling list (i.e. distributed to various sites evenly distributed around
the net) being converted to a network wide newsgroup. The formula doesn't work
for other cases because it wasn't meant to.

As is apparent from reading the article, he is talking about network wide
mailling lists.

Chuqui, how do you put up with this crap?

Terry Poot