[comp.windows.x] foreign languages

harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) (12/08/90)

   Thanks.

   I have been playing with some of the clients in X11R4 for using
foreign languages. I have the source release. So far I have only
played with the Japanese clients, but I am studying Korean and
Farci and would like to be able to practice these on the computer.
I also have an interest in Chinese (though I know almost nothing).
I have the new kterm (4.1.1) which lets me display Chinese, but I
don't have any software to input Chinese :-(

        What clients are available for input, output or display in
                languages other than English?

        What fonts are available besides those in X11R4 and the ones
                recently mentioned in this group?

        Are there any servers like jserver(Wnn: Japanese Kanakan Henkan
                Server) for Korean and Chinese? Are there any other
                languages which require conversion?

        Are there any bilingual dictionaries?

        Are there any bilingual transaltion packages?

   If anybody knows of anything else they think might be along these lines,
please mention it. If there is enough interest, I will post a summary.
--
-- harkcom@pa.yokogawa.co.jp
	Yokogawa Electric Corporation, Tokyo, Japan

proj@nff.ncl.omron.co.jp (Hiroshi Kuribayashi) (12/08/90)

   >>played with the Japanese clients, but I am studying Korean and
   >>Farci and would like to be able to practice these on the computer.
What is Farci?

   >>I also have an interest in Chinese (though I know almost nothing).
   >>I have the new kterm (4.1.1) which lets me display Chinese, but I
   >>don't have any software to input Chinese :-(

We have a plan to done input server and some clients to X11R5.
Input server is based on Wnn (I'm one of develpper of Wnn :-).
It can input Japanese KANJI, Chinese Hanzi and Korean Hangul,
and some Europian languages (Latin/1).

So please wait X11R5. :-)

But it cannot input Korean Hanja, beacause I don't have
Korean Hangul to Hanja dictionary. :-(

If someone has free/publicdomain Korean dictionary, I can add Hangul
to Hanja conversion.

| Hiroshi Kuribayashi		 :  Phone: +81-75-951-5111 (ext. 3170)	|
| Computer System R&D Laboratory :    FAX: +81-75-955-2442 or		|
| Section RZF, OMRON Corporation :         +81-75-956-7403		|
| Shimokaiinji, Nagaokakyo-City, : E-Mail: kuri@omron.co.jp		|
| Kyoto, 617, Japan		 :					|

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (12/08/90)

> What clients are available for input, output or display in languages
> other than English?

It's often forgotten, but many (most? all?) of the text-displaying
clients are perfectly capable of displaying in any language whose
graphic set can be fitted into a 256-glyph font, given an appropriate
font.  X comes with many fonts which claim to be ISO8859-1 (ie,
Latin-1); some of them don't actually have the \200-\377 characters in
them, but most, I believe, do.  I don't offhand recall which languages
are covered by ISO Latin-1, but it's certainly several non-English ones
(French, for example, seems to be covered, and from my minimal
knowledge of them, I would guess that Spanish and German are too).

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) (12/08/90)

>In article <HARKCOM.90Dec7112905@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) writes:
>
>      I have been playing with some of the clients in X11R4 for using
>   foreign languages. I have the source release. So far I have only
>   played with the Japanese clients, but I am studying Korean and
>   Farci and would like to be able to practice these on the computer.
    ^^^^^
Did you mean Farsi, spoken in Iran?

>   I also have an interest in Chinese (though I know almost nothing).
>   I have the new kterm (4.1.1) which lets me display Chinese, but I
>   don't have any software to input Chinese :-(
>
>           What clients are available for input, output or display in
>                   languages other than English?

There is a modified version of xterm called cxterm that supports three
different styles of Chinese input(character by character basis) which
is available from crl.nmsu.edu [128.123.1.14] in pub/chinese/cxterm.tar.Z
and cs.purdue.edu [128.10.2.1] in pub/ygz/cxterm.tar.Z.

I have modified the AsciiTextWidget to support Chinese input by
Pinyin, but the input is still rather primitive.  I'll be adapting it
to be used as an FEP, like kinput.  A notice will be posted here and
other relevant groups when the initial version is ready to be used.

Look for more sophisticated Chinese input support in X11R5(see below).

A Public Review Draft of an Input Method Specification for X11, by
Vania Joloboff of the Open Software Foundation and Bill McMahon of
Hewlett Packard was released in November.  This is available from
expo.lcs.mit.edu [18.30.0.212] in directory pub/DOCS/i18n/.  I believe
the public review will be closed sometime in February 1991.  The three
logographic systems discussed explicitly in the specification document
are Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, but the specification is by no
means limited to these systems.

I haven't had time to look through the specs carefully yet(guess what
I'm going to be reading over the Winter Break), but a quick scan
seemed to indicate a relatively comprehensive handling of input.

>           What fonts are available besides those in X11R4 and the ones
>                   recently mentioned in this group?

Aside from the Chinese and Japanese fonts mentioned here, the only
other X11 fonts I have personally tried to track down are Korean and
Urdu(spoken in Pakistan) fonts.  It's been quite some time since I
tried to find Korean X11 fonts(there weren't any at the time), but I
understand Korea just recently got an Internet connection(there's a
mention of the network map and its carriers in soc.culture.korea, as
well as an anonymous ftp site).  Hopefully we'll see some useful
Korean support for the X11 environment in the near future.

No FREE and/or PD Urdu fonts were to be found.  I am currently working
with another student in an attempt to develop a Nastaliq word
processor, but it will be some time before we resolve some of the font
issues.  My guess is that Arabic based fonts for X11 will be difficult
to find.

I am also working on some possibilities for Vietnamese, Thai, Tamil,
and Devanagari fonts for X11, but these are unsure prospects.

>           Are there any servers like jserver(Wnn: Japanese Kanakan Henkan
>                   Server) for Korean and Chinese? Are there any other
>                   languages which require conversion?

I am told that the X11R5 distribution will have Wnn/cWnn included.
cWnn is an automaton based conversion server, similar to Wnn, except
it supports Chinese.  I'm not sure, but I think some support for cWnn
is being added to Nemacs.  Those two are the only that I know of so
far.

>           Are there any bilingual dictionaries?
>
>           Are there any bilingual transaltion packages?

I haven't looked into this yet.  It would be *REALLY* nice to find some
FREE or PD on-line bilingual dictionaries.

I know of a few translation packages, but they are, or will be
commercial products.  It would also be *REALLY* nice to find some of
these that are FREE or PD.

Finally, before I get lots of email asking about this, no, most of
what I am doing is not project work, it's primarily a one person
crusade to gather/create basic X11 tools for display, input and
editing of as many writing systems as possible.  Since this limits the
time I can spend on it, any knowledge/code/fonts/etc. (FREE or PD of
course) that people want to contribute would be accepted with
*HEARTFELT APPRECIATION*!!!

And profusive thanks to the people who have layed the foundations with
softare already out there.
mleisher@nmsu.edu                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]

In article <MLEISHER.90Dec8070501@thrinakia.nmsu.edu> mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) writes:
>No FREE and/or PD Urdu fonts were to be found.  I am currently working
>with another student in an attempt to develop a Nastaliq word
>processor, but it will be some time before we resolve some of the font
>issues.  My guess is that Arabic based fonts for X11 will be difficult
>to find.
There are more than a dozen Arabic fonts available on the Mac, although
I've only seen one PD set.  These fonts can be converted to X fonts
with relative ease (there's a program floating around the net that
does this, let me know if you want a copy).  Getting legal permission
to do might be a problem though.  (Well, if you want to get technical,
you don't *need* permission, but...).

>I am also working on some possibilities for Vietnamese, Thai, Tamil,
>and Devanagari fonts for X11, but these are unsure prospects.
Again, the Mac is probably a good place to start, if you don't
care about PD availability.

Even once you've got the fonts, it's not clear where to go from
there.  R5 will help a lot, but the I18N support there seems to
be primarily oriented towards far-eastern languages.  The multi-
directional support looks to be weak.

						-kee

--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

In article <9012081218.AA21070@Larry.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU writes:
>> What clients are available for input, output or display in languages
>> other than English?
>
>It's often forgotten, but many (most? all?) of the text-displaying
>clients are perfectly capable of displaying in any language whose
>graphic set can be fitted into a 256-glyph font, given an appropriate
None.  Most if you discount directionality.  I'd say all, but some
programs won't handle sign extension properly.  To properly do Arabic,
Farsi or Urdo you'll have to handle not only right to left layout,
but also occasional left to right.

					-kee

(Okay, if you really wanted to you could store the text backwards,
but that's pushing it.)