[comp.windows.x] XView2.0 icons and

chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Christopher Pudney) (12/03/90)

G'day,

	I have written an application that uses the XView2.0 libraries.
When run under olwm the application works well.  However, if the
application is run under (tv)twm it fails to iconify properly.
Specifically, when the application is iconified the severimage representing
the icon appears breifly somewhere inside the baseframe window but
disappears when the window is unmapped.

	Similar problems occur when the XView2.0 example programs "icon_demo"
and "icon_demo2" are run under (tv)twm.

	I have tried the three methods of creating server images described
in O'Reilly (pp297-298) with little success.  I really dislike the olwm and
would rather use the default blank icon (which does appear properly under
(tv)twm) than switch to olwm for the sake of my programmed icon.

	Does anybody out there know how to successfully create XView2.0 icons
under (tv)twm?

AtDhVaAnNkCsE.
Chris Pudney

Department  of  Computer  Science,    PHONE: (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 380 3455
University  of Western  Australia,
Nedlands, Western AUSTRALIA, 6009.    FAX:   (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 382 1688
E-MAIL:  chrisp@cs.uwa.oz.au

chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Christopher Pudney) (12/06/90)

In <chrisp.660212894@warabi> chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Christopher Pudney) writes:

>G'day,

>	I have written an application that uses the XView2.0 libraries.
>When run under olwm the application works well.  However, if the
>application is run under (tv)twm it fails to iconify properly.
>Specifically, when the application is iconified the severimage representing
>the icon appears breifly somewhere inside the baseframe window but
>disappears when the window is unmapped.

>	Similar problems occur when the XView2.0 example programs "icon_demo"
>and "icon_demo2" are run under (tv)twm.

>	I have tried the three methods of creating server images described
>in O'Reilly (pp297-298) with little success.  I really dislike the olwm and
>would rather use the default blank icon (which does appear properly under
>(tv)twm) than switch to olwm for the sake of my programmed icon.

>	Does anybody out there know how to successfully create XView2.0 icons
>under (tv)twm?

	For those of you anxiously awaiting a solution to this problem:  I
was informed to simply apply the current patch (level 4) to tvtwm.  This
done my application now iconifies beautifully.

P.S.  Thanks for keeping an eye on this group for me Bill.  As you can see
our newsware is back up again.

baeder@shamu.cadence.com (D. Scott Baeder; x6299) (12/11/90)

In article <chrisp.660212894@warabi>, chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Christopher Pudney) writes:

|> 	I have written an application that uses the XView2.0 libraries.
|> When run under olwm the application works well.  However, if the
|> application is run under (tv)twm it fails to iconify properly.
|> Specifically, when the application is iconified the severimage representing
|> the icon appears breifly somewhere inside the baseframe window but
|> disappears when the window is unmapped.

I too have this, and my guess is that its related to the whole
RootWindow  manipulation of tvtwm...try tvtwm in the "plain jane" mode
with no virtual desktop...that seemed to cure it for me...

I just haven't gotten around to trying to stick the vroot.h "patch"
into Xview2 yet...

scott

P.S  Thanks to all concerned with tvtwm (and the vroot.h patch)!

baeder@cadence.com
#include "disclaimer.std"