[comp.windows.x] X11R5 Xt Enhancement Requests

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (12/12/90)

Sure would be nice if XtGetResourceList() would invoke a
function on the widget to allow the widget to return
subresources.  For example, how does one get the list
of resources and the resource types for subresources of the
Xaw Text widget?  Seems like the only option is to read
the manual (or the source) and hard code it.  How quaint.

Sure would be nice if there was an application callback
which could be bound to shells to allow the application
to return a resource list for application resources.  Or
better, that the application shell somehow inherits XtResources
whenever the application does a XtGetApplicationResources or
similar.  Then it would be transparent.  Probably does not
need to be transparent, however.  This would help editres too.

Sure would be nice if Core or RectObj had a client_data
pointer.  (I know, there already are schmes for mapping
a widget to any number of application data.  A client_data
pointer would still make life easier in many cases).

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (12/13/90)

In article <10709@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) writes:
>Sure would be nice if XtGetResourceList() would invoke a
>function on the widget to allow the widget to return
>subresources.  For example, how does one get the list
>of resources and the resource types for subresources of the
>Xaw Text widget?  Seems like the only option is to read
>the manual (or the source) and hard code it.  How quaint.

   What about adding the same requirement for Motif 1.1
   "synthetic resources" ?

   Or should the XtGetResourceList() be renamed into:

      XtGetIncompleteResourceList()   ?????

[by the way, subresources are a "hack" from the past, the introduction
 of object makes them much less needed].

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru